Would a Jellybean/Blood/Parrot Cichlid be compatible in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kentaaa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Greetings!

My LFS has just got a shipment of BEAUTIFUL juvenile Parrot Cichlids. They are a bright almost neon pink (not dyed). I have been eyeing them for awhile at other stores, but just haven't had the courage to purchase one for fear it will bully my other fish in my community tank. I have a 46 gallon bowfront. It is heavily planted with plenty of rockwork, caves, crevices, and hiding spots. My stock is as listed below...

1x Dojo Loach (3.5-4")
1x Clown Loach (~2")
1x Gold Leopard Gourami
3x Neon Tetras
1x Diamond Tetra
1x Sailfin Lyretail Molly
1x Balloon Molly
1x Striped Angelfish (2-2.5")
1x Bosemani Rainbowfish
3x Glass Cats
5x Marble Hatchets
1x Farlowella
1x Sterba's Cory Cat

The Parrots that they have in stock are approx. 2-3" from beak to base of tail. I do realize they get fairly large as they age, however I am currently in the process of setting up a Cichlid tank whiich will be well established by the time I even have to think about moving him.

I did my research as far as individual fish compatibility. I have read MANY success stories with Angels, Gouramis, Tetras, Glass Cats, Swordtails (I'm assuming this would include Mollies as well), and of course they have no problems with bottom dwellers. I just don't know if they would be okay with ALL of these fish in one community.

Please let me know if you think it would be a good match for my tank. I do hope so since these (along with Flowerhorns) are my absolute favorite aquarium fish, and the shipment my store just received are the most beautiful I have seen in a LONG time.

Thank you SO much for your input!

Alex

Hi there,
If they are pink and called "Jellybean" that usually means they are dyed. While they are small now, they'll grow quickly and they really need a bigger tank if kept with other fish. The personality is different from fish to fish, some get along, some don't.

I personally would not add one, even if they are cool!

Your tank does have a few non compatible fish..
Clown loaches are another fish that gets huge, they can reach 12"+, I'd look into rehoming him.

The bosemanis are quite energetic and grow to a 6-8" so they'd also need a bigger tank, maybe consider rehoming him.

The angel will also get big, but he'll be fine in your tank.

Neon and diamond tetras are both schooling fish, it's best to keep them in groups of 6 each. Same goes for bosemani rainbows, glass catfish, hatchets and Cory catfish.

Hope this helps:)

Agree with TA. You probably already have some pretty stressed fish in your tank. Schooling fish that are kept singly are never very happy. Your clown loach is also a schooling fish, and needs at least 2 more of his kind to feel comfortable. Also, they can reach 12". Not a good fit for a 46g tank, sorry.
The parrot is an absolute no-no. Not only will it not be compatible for your tank, the process of altering a fish's coloring by dying is a painful and cruel process.

The Parrot is not dyed at all. I know for a fact this store would not stock dyed fish of any kind. I have just heard them called so many different names I did not know which one is the "de facto" in the hobby. I figured Blood, Parrot, and Jellybean were interchangeable. I have seen many Parrots this shade of pink and I know they will turn orange as they age. Like I said I am starting another tank however I have read that Parrots don't really do well with other Cichlids and I already have a community tank and do not want another. I have also read that they do not do well with other Parrots in the tank so I feel like my only option would be to have a species tank with just one Parrot. In the future I plan on setting up a species Flowerhorn tank and I really would prefer not to have tanks all over my house with just one fish in each... I'm at a crossroad.

If you set up a separate tank that would be super! I'd get a 40 BR tank(it's wider than most tanks) or a 55 at the least, and if they're that small you could try with a school of tetras or zebra danios, but definitely no other cichlids.

Does your store carry glofish? If so, they have no problem stocking chemically altered fish. I could be wrong about the parrot's coloring however. They aren't a natural fish from the start, being a hybridized cichlid. What I can say, is that I have 2 blood parrots and both were a dark orange from the time I bought them at about 1 1/2" long. The color has deepened as they've grown, but was never pink. I've been told that breeding a parrot with a convict will yield a "barber pole" parrot, but have never seen one. So, I suppose that pink parrots are possible. I was told by a much more knowledgeable fish keeper than I that pink parrots are altered chemically. Either way, IMO, don't add one to your tank until you get a larger tank. But, it's your tank after all. The final decision is yours.

They do not stock Glofish. I have had a few casual conversations with the owner and one of those drifted to the subject of Glofish. He stated that he believes dyed fish are a "cruel gimmick" created by fish companies to coerce small children and unexperienced hobbyists into buying a $1.99 fish for upwards of $10. It's all a "get rich quick scheme". Henceforth why I previously stated that I know for a fact this store would not stock dyed Parrots (Jellybeans?).

Even if the owner did not have a problem with them, it is a "high-end" aquarium store that only stocks coral and fish that are more on the exotic side. Really the only "basic" fish they sell are Angels, Barbs, and obviously the Parrots. I remember once I was in there picking up some chemicals and a mother and her small child were in the store as well looking at each tank trying to pick out a fish for her son. The boy started crying because he wanted a Discus (for his 6 gallon tank) but the mother refused to pay $80 for a fish. Outraged, the mother marched right up to the owner and scolded him for overcharging people for fish, who in their right mind would pay hundreds of dollars for fish (I chuckled at this one), and for having such a limited to no selection of fish that could live in such a small tank. She then stated that she will be taking her business to Petco as they have a better selection and more knowledgeable staff.

Just because someone tells you something you don't want to hear doesn't mean they are not knowledgable. The staff at chain pet stores will tell you whatever you want to hear to make a sale. And im sorry for going so far off topic but the sad thing is more and more people are thinking like this woman.

I live in a very large city and we only have 3 dedicated aquarium stores and two of them are exactly the same because they are run by the same person. New aquarium stores are popping up all the time but they never seem to last more than a month or two. The aforementioned three stores are the only ones that seem to stay open. There is one main road that as you travel down it every other strip mall and plaza has a closed down Aquarium store in it. I counted 6 and I only travel on that road for four to five miles.

The moral of the story here is I almost made a HUGE mistake and put my own fish as well as a potential Parrot in jeopardy just because there is so few places to purchase quality fish around here and I was scared that this lot of Parrots would be gone if I waited (since this store does not regularly stock them). Our Pet Smart/Co/Supermarket do not carry them and the only other place I have seen them was Walmart (yuck!). If it didn't cost $35 a fish in shipping to order them online I'd be set. But alas, I just have to be patient until my new tank is setup and if they are not available then I guess it was not meant to be.

I guess it's true what they say.... There are plenty of more fish in the sea!

No pun intended ;)

Glofish have an added gene and are IDENTICAL to their natural counterparts, just with more color. They breed true and only the original parents had to go through with the extra gene. It's not cruel at all.

Good luck with your fish!

Today, while clipping turkey wings, I learned that a 6' 2", 220 lb ex-Army Ranger can still get his butt kicked by a 30 lb tom turkey.
I also learned that I had been wrong for quite some time about glofish. I was told by several people -and always believed - that glofish were chemically altered by means of injection. After 5 minutes of research today, I learn that it's actually a protein added into the eggs, and that subsequent spawns will breed true.
So, thanks for the impetus to educate myself, TA.

Today, while clipping turkey wings, I learned that a 6' 2", 220 lb ex-Army Ranger can still get his butt kicked by a 30 lb tom turkey.
I also learned that I had been wrong for quite some time about glofish. I was told by several people -and always believed - that glofish were chemically altered by means of injection. After 5 minutes of research today, I learn that it's actually a protein added into the eggs, and that subsequent spawns will breed true.
So, thanks for the impetus to educate myself, TA.

That's cool, do you live on a farm?

I am a huge Glofish nut, I love them! Lol your welcome!

Back
Top Bottom