Would an angel fish work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shane87

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi I have never had angels before but hear they can be aggressive but kinda fragile as well and I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on if it would work with my current stock.

8-10x denison barb
9x clown loach
8x pitcus catfish
8x giant danio
1x fire eel
1x BGK
1x dwarf giraffe catfish

350 liter ATM but I am upgrading to a 1000 liter at Christmas so I don't mind waiting until I get the big tank if that would help?
Thanks for the fast reply :)

I would wait for the bigger tank. Other than that I don't see why you can't get an angelfish.

Cool, would I only be able to get 1? And do you think they would bully the danios?

I used to have issues with a clown loach harassing my angels... He seemed to like nibbling on their long fins. But then again each fish has its own personally!

Angels should be fine. I'd stick with 2. Shouldn't bully the danios. It's possible if you end up with a breeding pair, but the tank should be large enough that you shouldn't have an issue with your current stock. I'd pick up older angels, and not very small ones. Sounds like the pictus, eel, and BGK is quite a lot of bottom dweller action for your current tank. Good thing you're upgrading. Hopefully your BGK and eel are still small.

I have 10 angels in a 220g which is about 833 liters. In my opinion in a tank that large getting a school of 6 I think would be best. You might get some pairs, might not but IMO a school might feel alittle more secure than a couple in a tank with so many large fish. My loaches sometimes like to annoy the angels by tickling their feelers with thier barbels but the angels just run them off.

Angels tend to be bullies when alone but not so much when you have two or more. Angels also need warm (78+) and clean water (low Nitrates). Try to keep the hardness low.

My clown loaches have never bothered anything before so I hope not and yea my BGK is only about 5" and the fire eel is around 7". So do you think 1 or a pair or even a small group would be best? And I won't be getting them until I get the 264usg/1000 litre up and running.

In a tank that size with larger fish IMO a group would be best, if not a group at least 2, I wouldn't do just one but that is JMO.

Back
Top Bottom