Would getting a new filter require me to cycle my tank again?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReyK

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had a Tetra 3i in my 3-gallon cherry shrimp tank, and it's completely cycled and everything, but I just got a sponge filter so I can eventually try to breed my shrimp. They're both air-powered and I only have one air pump, so I hooked up the air line to the new sponge filter but left the 3i in the tank because I didn't know what to do with it yet. Since I've replaced the filter, will my tank need to cycle again or will the bacteria from the old filter go to the new one? I know I probably sound pretty dumb, but any help is appreciated.

I would take part of the old filter and somehow attach it to the new filter. With bacteria living mostly is substrate and filter sponges/padding, this will help jumpstart your new filter in the right direction.

That's basically what I've started doing. The old filter pad is sitting wedged between the new filter's sponge and the side of my aquarium for the time being.

Back
Top Bottom