Would i need a heater and thermometer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
If I got a five gallon tank and I live in Iowa, would I need to get a heater? If so what do you suggest?

yes just get a tetras submersible heater i think it's for 2-15 gallons and get a thermometer the heater will keep your tank from 75 degrees to 78 mine stays at 75

I though freshwater aqs were supposed to be from 72 to 82 degrees f? Maybe not... I will get those two if I end up upgrading my bettas jail cell. Lol

Bettas should be kept at 80F. IME the tetra heaters will only heat to 76. I highly recommend a heater with a dial that lets you set the temp you want..such as the Hydor Theo. No matter where you live, a tropical fish should have a heater and a thermometer. A steady temp is crucial. Each tropical fish has it's own temp requirements, there isn't one wide range you can keep them all in.

there are some that have a dial but yea if a betta needs 80 degrees then nvmd you need a better heater

I think I will just find one with a dial that's cheap and et a thermometer so I can find the right setting. I don't want one hat only keeps it at a certain temp because it usually doesn't work and I need to have he option of using it for different fish in case of fry, hospital, emergency, or quarantine needs. Also- how would I keep the one gallon cycled in case I need to out the betta or some other fish back in there?

Nice to see another Iowan! This state sucks for fish keeping though, doesn't it?

Yeah, a cheap adjustable heater would be best.

As far as keeping it cycled, give it an ammonia source. Whether that be pure ammonia, fish food, shrimp( like what we eat) or something else.

Run the filter from the the 1 gallon in one of your other tanks when the 1 gal isn't in use...then just move it over when you need it.

siva said:
Run the filter from the the 1 gallon in one of your other tanks when the 1 gal isn't in use...then just move it over when you need it.

Oh, duh. Yeah, that's a Better idea. I need to go to bed.

Haha wow bettababe, we have so much in common! We are both teens who live in Iowa who have 10 gallon tanks and agree that fish keeping in Iowa sucks!

siva said:

Most 3 gallon or less tanks use ug filters with air pumps, so I can't run the filter.

Bettababe your right I need to go to bed too... Good night everyone!

maxwellag said:
Most 3 gallon or less tanks use ug filters with air pumps, so I can't run the filter.

There are smaller filters you can get, but in this case, I'd use the ammonia source.

Yeah, and we are both teens who probably need to get some sleep. Well, Bettababe out! Lol.

Lol I Thot u had to go to bed? Well I Thot I did too but I guess not!

maxwellag said:
Lol I Thot u had to go to bed? Well I Thot I did too but I guess not!

I'm going, I'm going! This is deja vu of a conversation with Joyler and CoyoteWildfire... Them nagging me to go to bed. Lol. I'm going!

I wasn't trying to nagg you. Sorry. I was trying to be funny. I have to get up at 7:30 to go to school tomorrow. What time do you have to get up?

maxwellag said:
I wasn't trying to nagg you. Sorry. I was trying to be funny. I have to get up at 7:30 to go to school tomorrow. What time do you have to get up?

I know. I was joking. I'll pm you so we don't get in trouble.

Back
Top Bottom