Would lava rock be good bio media?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lomeli562

Aquarium Advice Activist
I decided to stop using filter cartridges and what not but im trying to find cheap bio media i was thinking of using lava rock from homedepot. Any thoughts?

Sent from my HTC One X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It tends to clog up. If you want something cheap and available I would suggest plastic pot scrubbers from a dollar store. Cheap as dirt and very effective / durable.

Wouldnt i be able to rinse the rock in old tank water though? And i considered that to but i wanted something with a ton of surface area

I checked it out it gave me some good ideas and i think i will go with the dollar store scrubbers thanks for the help to both of you =)

I've seen home depot lava rock recommended many times and I suspect it's fine if it fits in your filter and you check your water paramters to make sure nothing leeches into your tank.

The use of "sponge" biomedia gives far less surface area per cubic inch than ceramic and other conventional bio-media ..... but the advantage of it is that it can be rinsed out in aquarium water whereas ceramic and other commercial biomedia cannot. I suggest people listen to King of youtube DIY aquarium Joey Mullen is usually spot on. Go here:

CheckOutTheLatest - Subscribe to YouTube channels with Facebook

As far as needing to replace biomedia, I found he is correct (whether it's lava rock or Fluval C-Nodes or high end Fluval Ceramic), that bio-media is going to get "sludged up" and needs to be replaced.

As an aside, I pretty much accepted the notion that biomedia never needs to be replaced. However, I noticed the pad over the drip tray of my oldest Fluval C3 HOB was totally clogged causing the water to completely bypass the bio-media and fall onto the "lip"/outake of the filter. When I scrubbed hard and rinsed it in distilled water I was uderly amazaed at how much "gunk" came out.

Then I looked at the 6 month old C-Nodes and Seachem Matrix sitting in the drip tray. It is by no means clogged but there is a significant "growth" of slime and gunk that will in fact render the biomedia to become less effective over time. Manufacturer says rinse/replace half every six months. I figure once a year is enough.

This really shocked me since my water is crystal clear and passes through 100 micron polishing pads before being passed through the chemical filtration chamber and biomedia tray.

I've seen home depot lava rock recommended many times and I suspect it's fine if it fits in your filter and you check your water paramters to make sure nothing leeches into your tank.

The use of "sponge" biomedia gives far less surface area per cubic inch than ceramic and other conventional bio-media ..... but the advantage of it is that it can be rinsed out in aquarium water whereas ceramic and other commercial biomedia cannot. I suggest people listen to King of youtube DIY aquarium Joey Mullen is usually spot on. Go here:

CheckOutTheLatest - Subscribe to YouTube channels with Facebook

As far as needing to replace biomedia, I found he is correct (whether it's lava rock or Fluval C-Nodes or high end Fluval Ceramic), that bio-media is going to get "sludged up" and needs to be replaced.

As an aside, I pretty much accepted the notion that biomedia never needs to be replaced. However, I noticed the pad over the drip tray of my oldest Fluval C3 HOB was totally clogged causing the water to completely bypass the bio-media and fall onto the "lip"/outake of the filter. When I scrubbed hard and rinsed it in distilled water I was uderly amazaed at how much "gunk" came out.

Then I looked at the 6 month old C-Nodes and Seachem Matrix sitting in the drip tray. It is by no means clogged but there is a significant "growth" of slime and gunk that will in fact render the biomedia to become less effective over time. Manufacturer says rinse/replace half every six months. I figure once a year is enough.

This really shocked me since my water is crystal clear and passes through 100 micron polishing pads before being passed through the chemical filtration chamber and biomedia tray.

On a similar note, I heard somewhere that bleach can be used to burn off the organic build up on bio media similar to how it does on purigen. With it having a ph of 12 - 13ish that doesn't seem like an outlandish claim.

without having experience in using it, i cant see an issue with using lava rock, its highly porous and has a massive surface area, exactly what bio media tries to achieve, so yeah id feel pretty confident using crushed up lava rock as a bio media

From my experimentation with using lava rock in my sump, it does appear to work well as bio media and seems to aide in denitrification (lowering nitrates) similar to how live rock is used in SW tanks. I've yet to notice any issues with minerals and such leeching out of my lava rocks, but you can do the acid test on it to double check before putting it in. I wouldn't try to use it in a canister or HOB filter though, as you'll end up with too much wasted space between the rocks. The ceramic tubes sold in the filter media section of an LFS is a far superior media since it can be used in much more compact spaces.

For physical filtration, you can use polyfil instead of the expensive cartridges. Just keep cleaning it until it falls apart and replacing as needed. Keeps the tank sparkling clean for a fraction of the price :)

Why cant you rinse it? I take mine and in a 10g bucket fill with water & prime & with the tray/media inside swished around & go up and down. Ever other month....maybe more.

On a similar note, I heard somewhere that bleach can be used to burn off the organic build up on bio media similar to how it does on purigen. With it having a ph of 12 - 13ish that doesn't seem like an outlandish claim.

Mel, I use hydrogen peroxide for any organic build up. My clear tube, I take it off & I pour it inside and watch it work. Same with my filter socks....fill with water & add hydrogen peroxide to kill the organic build up and turns white the next day.

How about this for filter media?

That works just fine. Those are the same things that many people use in their canisters. I use them in one of mine as well. They are nice because they don't break down and don't clog up. They are also simple to clean.

That works just fine. Those are the same things that many people use in their canisters. I use them in one of mine as well. They are nice because they don't break down and don't clog up. They are also simple to clean.

That is actually a picture of one of my filters. It won't polish the water like some of the finer floss or sponge but frequent water changes take care of that. The dollar store has them for $1 a pack of six.

That is actually a picture of one of my filters. It won't polish the water like some of the finer floss or sponge but frequent water changes take care of that. The dollar store has them for $1 a pack of six.

I actually use the yellow synthetic dish sponges with the green pot scrubbers attached to help filter finer particles. They work great although I do have filter floss that I use as well as the very last step to my filter.

Back
Top Bottom