Would like a redcap oranda... advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coolchinchilla

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm becoming enamored by fancy goldfish. Particularly a redcap oranda.

I have a 30 gallon waiting for a fish. Questions:

1. Would a 30 gallon be big enough for one oranda?

2. Would an oranda like/need a buddy? (2 redcaps in a 30 gal)?

3. Filtration needs: I have a Whisper HOB (30-40 gal) filter. I can put two of these HOBs on and I have a sponge filter and a corner box I could use for filtration. What would be enough?

4. Water conditons: My tap is essentially liquid rock. (pH = 8.4+ and hardness = 25) Would a goldie be ok in this?

5. Could I put other creatures in a goldie tank? I'm thinking of a BN pleco or some briggs (apple) snails.

6. I plan to plant the tank using the guidelines for coldwater tanks from plantgeek.com.

7. I have sand for substrate -- mostly pool filter sand with some black sandblasting sand to create a pepper effect. Would sand be ok for a goldfish?

8. Any links to goldfish sites where I can find more info?

TIA :pepsi: :popcorn:

Orandas tend to be finicky about water quality, so would not be the best to cycle a tank. However, once your tank is cycled, a pair would do fine in a 30. <You could push the envelope & try 3 .... but will need good care & maintanance!>

Hard water is just fine for goldies .... as long as you acclimatize them. They generally like pH in high 7's, but 8.4 should be fine. Far better to stick with your water than to try doctoring the water & end up with fluctuating pH.

Orandas don't really *need* a buddy, but goldies are schooling fish & I think they are happier with a friend or 2.

Plants - beware that goldies likes to eat them! Only ones that work in my tank <so far> are java fern, Anubias & Hornwart.

Other creatures with goldies - apple snail, bristlenose or rubberlip pleco, hillstream loaches, & white clouds <small ones may become lunch!>.

Note also that fancy golds like to have warmer water than commons - low 70's would be fine ... that generally means a small heater <unless you have a warm house!>

Goldies site - my favorite is : goldfishparadise.com - check the forums & articles, you'll find pretty much everything you need there.

Back
Top Bottom