Would like your opinions please :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike R.

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm new to having an aquarium (6-7 months), let's get that out there... I started with a goldfish that my 2yr old won at a fair throwing a ping pong ball. Knowing nothing of keeping fish I bought a small 1 gallon tank which quickly turned into a 10gal. I ended up buying a tall 65gal instead of continuing tank jumping from there lol. The tank is cycled and has some hand-me-down decorations but it needs a remodel. Which leads me to most of my questions.

1) Does anyone know of somewhere online that you can pic a specific piece of driftwood and not a random buy?
2) Has anyone used cholla wood and how long does it last? I have it naturally where I am and heard it's good for shrimp.
3) What's your opinions of rocks I can add to make a large natural structure. Was thinking black lava rock and grey slate maybe, kinda going for the Old World forest river look.
4) what live plants would you add to help with waste removal and cover for shrimp? I have around 4ft of anachris floating that the fish munch on but I want at least part of my planted plants to be live.

I know now I should have completed the hardscape before adding fish but I was over zealous and they're already in so will just add rocks and driftwood slowly.

Also do you have any other fish you would recommend after finishing the hardscape. Looking more into non schooling now so I dont overstock. Open to anything not overly aggressive, the shrimp are in there for food btw.

Current Fish List
Angel Fish
** 1 Veil Angel Fish
** 1 Lace-fin Angel Fish
Platy
** 3 Sunburst Mickey Mouse Platy
** 1 Red Wag Platy
Tetra
** 10 White Cloud Tetra
** 2 Black Skirt Tetra
** 1 Gold Skirt Tetra
** 1 Green GloFish Tetra
** 3 Blind Cave Tetra
5 Cherry Barb
5 Zebra Danio
5 Harlequin Rasbora
1 Plecostemous
1 Goldfish
1 Minnow
2 Chinese Algae Eaters
10-15 Ghost Shrimp
1 Black Mystery Snail
1 Red Nerite Snail

The two angels, glofish tetra, gold skirt tetra, red wag platy, and black mystery snail were all surrenders to a local Petsmart that they gave to me.

Overall everything gets along, the tank is clear, all testings came back normal. I dont have the numbers on me however. The male angel harasses anything put into the tank for 10-15 then they're friends lol...

I just want your opinions, constructive criticism, and ideas. Always wanted a tank but never had a reason until now :)

Attachments

• 20190224_180243.jpg
    20190224_180243.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 20190312_221713.jpg
    20190312_221713.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
I'm looking more into taller rocks and stumps similar to Topfin grey tree root sizes XL, L, and M) to put in the back. What's in there is just what I had at the time.

Some kind of background helps divert attention from the extra wires. Some use paint, plastic or commercial made backgrounds. You can get creative with screen, metal, bamboo, decorative metal...

It also makes an area for the fish to feel more secure.

You have a lot of fish combos going on there in the tank.

What I would recommend is really thinking about the fish you have in the tank and deciding on the ones which you enjoy the most.

Then start making the tank into those fishes ideal home.

Things to consider are temperatures, pH, one type fish gets so big they will eat others, and then temperaments.

aqadvisor is a useful source to give you general info about tank stocking and recommended compatibility. They are a bit conservative in their estimations.

You may find some fish would be better in a different group / tank. Sometimes you can make slight adjustments to accommodate a special fish.

I had forgotten about the background when I bought everything, just hadn't made it that far yet.

I know there's some odd combos. I was a little over anxious and mixed it up a little. I have a second tank I can bring online if any fall to far out of acceptable ranges.

I'm assuming you're talking about the goldfish growing large enough to eat the others. Hes already large enough to eat the small schoolers but hasn't shown any inclination of trying for the other fish. I've had it with small fish and shrimp since the 10gal I had.

I'll make a graph tonight comparing temp ranges, pH, and other factors. If you know of any that would be problematic (excluding the goldfish) that would jumpstart my search.

Overall I want the old world forest river look with the dark lava rocks/slate, driftwood, a few of the (almond?) leaves, with some moss and larger leafy plants.

I'll check out both sites you mentioned tonight, thank you.

aqadvisor dot com will do the figuring of the details for the fish you have and or want.

You enter the filter and tank size and select the fish you have (or want) and how many - then you can add or subtract and it tells you if you are or will be overstocked when fish reach adult size.

Back
Top Bottom