Would these fish be happy together?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KidneyMittens

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a black moor goldfish and a golden dojo loach living together in a 10 gallon aquarium, and now that they are getting bigger it is time for me to upgrade my aquarium! So i am going to get a 30 gallon aquarium with a sand substrate to house them in. I was also considering adding some zebrafish to the aquarium to add a little life, would this work with proper heating (~65-70) and filtering? Also how many zebrafish would work? (currently from my preliminary research I am thinking about 4 or 5)

Tl;DR Is 1 black moor + 1 golden dojo loach + ? zebrafish in a 30 gallon aquarium a viable setup?

EDIT: I forgot to say White Cloud Minnows are also an option if they would be better suited to my tank.

I don't think this would be viable. The Goldie alone should be in at least a 30g and the loach is recommended for at least a 50g. Then to add the zebras, are we talking danios or cichlids ? There's a huge difference. I would try to rehome the loach sooner than later ang get a larger tank for the Goldie ASAP. If you want more than just the Goldie at least a 40g or better yet a 50g.

As treemanone said, a 30 gallon really isnt big enough for both a black moor and a dojo. But that issue aside, goldfish will eat anything they can get in their mouths. Even if its not big yet, it will surely get big enough to eat the zebras (danios I'm assuming) before too long.
If you can find an affordable one (petco's dollar a gallon sale is where I got mine), I'd upgrade to at least a 40 breeder if you want to keep the moor and loach together, but bigger is always better.

I totally understand your desire for more life in the tank with just one goldfish and loach, but really there just isnt much that is compatible. I've heard of cool water fish like white clouds and some danios occasionally working, but you'd have to get them as babies together, so the smaller fish are an inch or two before the goldfish is big enough to try to eat them. But I think goldfish are really just better off with their own.

For a more visually interesting tank, have you considered aquascaping? I don't know what your tank looks like now, but I used to have several anubias with my goldie. Tie them onto a piece of decor or some large rocks (nothing too sharp for the goldie) and they're good to go. They don't require much light and they're too tough for the moor to eat, and your dojo would love some plants to play around in. You could have a whole anubias jungle. They come in all sorts of sizes and leaf types. They really helped make my ryukin's tank more interesting, back when I kept goldfish.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom