Would this be considered a 'new' tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReneeMarie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all! I have a question about setting up new tanks. I am upsizing my 2 55gal to 2 brand spanking new 90gal. Both 55’s have been up and running for 4 and 5 years. My question is this – if I set up each of the 90s using all the rocks, wood, plants etc and the filters (leaving all media in place) and roughly 30-40 gallons of water from the respective 55s and then top up with new (Prime treated of course) water and then transferred the fish immediately would that be basically the same as a ~40% PWC or do I need to treat as a new setup and be on the watch for all the dangers of new tanks? I won’t be increasing the bioload at all in either tank. Details of the tanks (if needed) are:

Tank 1: 2 x AquaClear 110
2 black Moors
1 common pleco (he’s at 10 inches now)

Tank 2: 1 x Marineland Emperor 400 and 1 x Marineland Penguin 350B
2 silver dollars
3 long fin black skirt tetras
10 (male only) guppies
1 common pleco (he’s just under 1 foot now)

And just so no one worries…the plecos (Jules and Vern) are fed cucumber, zucchini, broccoli, melon, oranges and sweet potato :rolleyes: I will also be setting up 2 125gal tanks for them in the next year and a bit (after our move to a bigger house!)

Thanks for all advice :p

All you need to do is transfer everything over, dont transfer the water, just start fresh. You will want to watch your parameters for a mini cycle, but as long as you dont add anything new to the tank, you probably wont have a problem. BTW, congrats on the new tanks... some pictures would be very nice for this thread :)

I'd disagree with mfdrookie516 on this one. While the water is not needed for beneficial bacteria, it will help to buffer against the tank shock that is likely to occur since your tanks were previously setup for 5 years. Even with good maintenance such as gravel vacs and water changes, the water that is in those tanks is drastically different than that from your tap.

I think it's a good idea to transfer over 1/2 the water or so when moving to the new tanks.

I would also not feed the fish for a day or two after the move to mitigate chances of a mini-cycle.

This is also a great time to wash your substrate with used tank water (or dechlorinated tap water of similar temperature). Over time (especially if you have snails) a lot of gunk will build up and bringing it all to the surface when you setup a new tank can cause problems.

Plastic wrap or unscented trash bags are your friend when doing a big move as you don't want anything to dry out. Put wrap over any tank you're not currently working on to keep the humidity high as all of that beneficial bacteria on the plants/decorations doesn't take long to dry out (especially this time of year where the ambient humidity is really low in most parts of the country).

If you keep everything moist and don't drop the pleco's on their heads (have you tried moving a large pleco before? haha they're a handful), the transition should go smooth as silk.

Goodluck and POST SOME PICS!

Thank you both for the advice. I do feel more inclined to transfer at least half of the old water over - surely it will help to lessen the tank shock as you mentioned. Also, I don't have any gravel (gets way too messy and can't be really thoroughly pyhthoned IMO without siphoning out almost all the water). Rather, I have a fair scattering of 1 inch river rocks.

I have considered sand recently with the new tanks (it looks so nice) but I’m not sure how the plecos would fare with that as they do like to muck about on the bottom. I would think turbidity would be an issue? And doesn’t the sand get sucked up when using the python? Hmmm…maybe sand is not for me! My goldies would probably stir it up like crazy too in their relentless probing for fooooooooooood J

Another question - if I do see indications of mini-cycling (and how long after set up might this occur?) should I immediately add something like Ammo-lock or just be ready to do frequent PWCs until parameters are stabilised? What exactly is a mini-cycle? Same as a normal cycle only shorter duration?

And no...I have never tried to move a large pleco (let alone TWO!)...and I am actually quite nervous about it! They really do have awesome power. I’m going to get an extra large net for sure J They remind me of little bulls in a china shop! The larger tanks are definitely way overdue but come the first weekend in February it’ll all be good! (Tis my 40th birthday present to myself!) Yay me (well, actually, yay VISA!)! New tanks! I can't wait :)

I will definitely post some pics when all is said and done.

Thanks again

Renée

Actually, I am pretty sure plecos actually prefer sand versus gravel. I might be wrong on plecos, but I know that corys do. I am sure somebody here will pipe in, but if it were me I would get some sand. Make sure you don't get live sand though because that will cause a mini-cycle for sure.
Also you will like sand much more I think, because dirt doesn't fall in between the cracks and all sits on top, making cleaning much easier. Make sure though when you do move it over you keep you current rocks and then slowly take them out, like a handful or two every couple of days, so that the bacteria can establish itself in the sand and you tank won't be hurt from the loss of all the bacteria that is currently in the stones.

Sand. Looks great (when new), fish (plecos included) love it, holds much more beneficial bacteria per amount than rocks do.

Sand. Gets a darker color when older, fish love to sitr it up which can cloud the tank or (worse) bury poo/plant pieces which can rot and cause issues (ammonia/sulfur dioxide). Not super easy to clean the surface like the rocks are. You can do it, but have to be very precise (I keep the vac about 1/2" above the surface). Too close and you suck it up, too far away and you don't get the crud off the bottom.

IMO, unless you are willing to deal with quite a bit more work I'd stick with the rocks. I have sand in my 20 gallon community and it's a bit of a handful.

When we say mini-cycle we are referring to detectable ammonia or nitrIte shortly after the switch-over. It normally lasts only a short time (because hopefully you have a large amount of bacteria from the transfer), but can be deadly/damaging. You always want to test water parameters for at least a couple days (and I'd recommend twice a day if you have live plants) as a precaution. If you do detect either ammonia or nitrIte large water changes are recommended with an acceptable dechlorinator such as Prime (my personal favorite). Prime has the added benefit of detoxifying ammonia and nitrIte from the water so even if you only do a 50% water change you may be detoxifying the remaining ammonia/nitrIte. I wouldn't use any chemical absorbants such as Ammolock/carbon as you can starve your existing bacteria and make the problem worse when the chemical wears out.

Best recommendation for the pleco is to remove EVERYTHING from the particular tank prior to trying to catch them (minus maybe the river stones). Then turn off the lights or have it very dim to reduce stress and bag the bugger. If you have heavy gloves I'd recommend you wear them as they can cut you when thrashing about. Do the move as quickly as possible from the old tank to the new as IMO it's better to avoid a secondary container (just make sure water temps are matched). Oh and wear some clothes you don't mind getting wet, they pretend to be Shamoo at Seaworld when being lifted out of the water!

I've read of people submerging an appropriately sized (clean) rubbermaid tote-type container and putting some food in they like. Again have it dark and hope they go inside. Then quickly try to top the tote and you have a perfect critter carrier to the new tank. I've never done it and am sure it's specific to that pleco whether they are willing to go INSIDE the tote but it certainly would be the easiest/least stressful method.

HTH

Okay, lol, now I have that image of the Apollo astronaughts walking down the docking corridor except it's me in a rubber suit with falcon-handling gloves and safety goggles and I'm a goin pleco catchin! :lol: Maybe I should video the move...could be humorous....
Most excellent advice! Thanks ever so much.

Okay, lol, now I have that image of the Apollo astronaughts walking down the docking corridor except it's me in a rubber suit with falcon-handling gloves and safety goggles and I'm a goin pleco catchin! :lol: Maybe I should video the move...could be humorous....
Most excellent advice! Thanks ever so much.

Not a problem! I think we really only ever hear the horror stories of catching them, so it's a bit blown out of proportion. But they are very strong for their size and can be a bit unweildly. Just treat them with respect and you'll be fine. :)

Back
Top Bottom