Would this be ok? Turning off Filter at night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearchumjs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi. I have a gourami in a 5gallon fluval chi tank. The light never turns off unless I unplug the filter. Design flaw? Probably. What do you guys think about turning off the filter/light during the night (from say 10pm to 4am). It doesn't seem right to have it lighted 24/7.

That light always stays on. I hated it. When you turn the the LED's off thats what you see. I always had to unplug mine.

It's never a wise idea to unplug your filter for anything longer than the time it takes to do a water change. I would say "no" to you planning on leaving it off every night. Can't be healthy for the bb or your fish.

Googled it and found this (from 3 separate reviews):

To turn the light on and off you have reach in on the back of the filter.

The switch for the light is a bit awkward. There is a small switch at the back of the centered contraption and you just pivot it over to the right over the bump and "voila" the light is turned off during the night.

The only improvement I would want is that the LED light switch be moved further to the back of the tank and could be turned off with one easy flick with one finger. The actual switch is behind the filter box and is more like a lever that you need two fingers to move up and down. And you also get your fingers a little wet since the water trickles from the top of the filter box.

Thank you for that information. I'm going to be fiddling with it today to see if I can get it figured out! The tank is near a window so once I get the light turned off I probably won't have to ever turn it on again.

Fiddled with the light switch and it isn't working. It won't shut off. Called Hagen and all I have to do is send a photo of the manufacturers info and if it's still under warranty they will replace the filter/light unit for me. Hooray!

I like these tanks but they are too expensive for their size. My petco is selling a 5 gallon for $69. Clearance.

BrackAttack said:
I like these tanks but they are too expensive for their size. My petco is selling a 5 gallon for $69. Clearance.

I know what you mean. My mother in law gave me this tank. If I were to spend $69 on a tank I would have gotten something bigger. It's a really pretty tank though. I like it even better now that I know that the light will turn off once I get a new fixture.

Bearchumjs said:
I know what you mean. My mother in law gave me this tank. If I were to spend $69 on a tank I would have gotten something bigger. It's a really pretty tank though. I like it even better now that I know that the light will turn off once I get a new fixture.

Yea thats a nice gift. Id probably get a small school of neons for it. With some RCS. I want one but not at that price. It is nicer then a typical 5-10 gal.

Back
Top Bottom