Would this stocking work for my 39 gallon aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

electromango

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone

29 Gallon Marineland Aquarium
Aqueon Quietflow 30 Power Filter
pH 7.6
Temp 78°

1 Honey Gourami
2 Scarlet Badis (male and female pair)
1 Apistogramma
1 Peacock Gudgeon
And perhaps a small school of 6

I'm using black sand and fluorite with plants. I'm worried about the scarlet badis with the other fish as I've heard that they're shy and timid in community tanks. Would all the fish get along well and what adjustments should I make? Advice? Thanks guys!

I just realized I said 39 gallons in the title, I meant 29 gallons, thanks

My worry is with the scarlet badis. They're really tiny and shy fish that would probably be very intimidated by the larger fish and not eat, as you said.

Maybe get a second apistogramma, as they like to be in pairs. What species of apistogramma were you thinking?

I personally would do the badis. While they may end up eating you most likely won't see them.

Have you thought about a group of small loaches or cories for the bottom?

I was thinking of getting Apistogramma cacatuoides because they seem to be hardiest for my higher pH, but I also like agasazii. Also I don't really like bottom feeders that much and as far as lower level fish go id prefer to get some shrimp or snails.

If I change it to this:

1-2 Honey gourami
2 scarlet badis
1-2 peacock Gudgeon
2 shrimp
2 snails

Would it be a better choice? I'm slightly hesitant for Apistogrammas; although they're gorgeous, I'm not very good at maintaining precise water/ hardness parameters to allow them to thrive, and my pH seems a little high for them. Would the badis be more comfortable in a setup like this? Or should I avoid them altogether and get a pair of Apistogrammas or Rams instead?

Thanks again for everyone's help, it's greatly appreciated :)

Your pH is fine. Unless pH/GH/KH is way in extremes there's really no need to worry about it.

Edit: I would look at getting at least 10 shrimp. That way they can establish a colony.

Caleb

I saw my badis out and about when I kept them in a tank with shrimp. Upgraded them to a larger tank that includes a school of micro rasboras: I rarely see them :( The rasboras are very peaceful and keep to themselves at the top of the tank. Don't get me wrong, I really like badis but I think they do best in a species-only tank, or with tankmates like snails or shrimp.

Forgot to add: peacock gudgeons can-and in my experience will-eat shrimp. Adult shrimp, not just fry.

Thanks Theresa for your advice, I'll stay away from scarlet badis then. So this is my updated stocking plan:

2 Honey gouramis (pair)
2 peacock Gudgeon (pair)
2 Apistogramma (pair)
2 Nerite snails
6 cherry barbs (instead of shrimp because they would be all eaten?)

Does that sound like a good setup? Thanks again for the advice

Thanks Theresa for your advice, I'll stay away from scarlet badis then. So this is my updated stocking plan:

2 Honey gouramis (pair)
2 peacock Gudgeon (pair)
2 Apistogramma (pair)
2 Nerite snails

I think that setup would work fine :D

2 Honey gouramis (pair)
2 peacock Gudgeon (pair)
2 Apistogramma (pair)
2 Nerite snails

I've only kept honey gouramis singly, not sure how they behave as pairs.

If possible I'd go with a 1M/2F trio of peacocks. The males can have a lot of personality and this would just make things easier for the females.

As far as the apistos I'm not sure how the setup would play out if they ended up spawning.

Cherry barbs a nice, peaceful and good color (y)

You could keep a group of 3-4 Honey Gourami in that tank. In my experience, there is no aggression between males besides occasional chasing--not anything serious though. They are not like Dwarf Gourami, and probably are one of the most peaceful gourami out there.

Back
Top Bottom