Would this stocking work well

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think you're running the risk of the pictus eating the ram. Also, I've heard that pictus cats like to be in groups.

are there any small catfish that would work better? Also would the gourami work in this tank size with these other fish?

I would say maybe to the gourami. I'm against putting any labyrinth type fish in a community tank just because they're really unpredictable at times. For catfish, depending on your substrate, you could get a half dozen or so pygmy corydoras but I'd watch the pleco as he might be territorial.

I want another fish around the size of the rainbow cichlid what would you suggest?

Go with the Hatchets all the way or drop them completely, try to keep more of the same species. I have kept hatchets and noticed they are very fragile and aren't quite a hardy fish and can't really defend themselves. If i were to keep them again I would do a species only tank. I would be worried about them getting hurt or stressed by the larger fish. Plus the rainbow cichlid would outgrow your tank eventually unless you plan on upgrading.

My recommendation: School of 10 hatchets, 1 or 2 bristlenose plecos, and possibly a ram or 2 (This would be a pretty peaceful tank)

OR: Blue gourami, small group of rams, 2 bristlenose plecos.

Good Luck, and best wishes!!!

Go with the Hatchets all the way or drop them completely, try to keep more of the same species. I have kept hatchets and noticed they are very fragile and aren't quite a hardy fish and can't really defend themselves. If i were to keep them again I would do a species only tank. I would be worried about them getting hurt or stressed by the larger fish. Plus the rainbow cichlid would outgrow your tank eventually unless you plan on upgrading.

My recommendation: School of 10 hatchets, 1 or 2 bristlenose plecos, and possibly a ram or 2 (This would be a pretty peaceful tank)

OR: Blue gourami, small group of rams, 2 bristlenose plecos.

Good Luck, and best wishes!!!

Thanks for the info on hatchets I'm considering them for one of my newer tanks and didn't know this about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Red tail sharks need at least a 55 gallon, this tank is too small for them, also it's too small for blue gouramis (I know him on another forum, the dimensions of the tank are the same as a 20g, only higher).
It's too small for pictus cats, and they need a group of 6+ and are very active fish.
I also would not be doing two species of dwarf cichlids in that small of a tank.

No red tail.
No pictus.
Questionable on BN...WHY?
No gourami with hatchets(think about it),none!
Same as a 20(long 30 inches) would be fine for rams,and the hatchets.:dance:
Rams and hatchets both deserve a species tank IMO also.(y)
A well balanced "dual species" hatchets and rams would be killer and an real achievement for any keeper.:cool:
OP; did you read ANY of the warnings from AQ.:facepalm:
They are lame(I mean safe at best) and missed by a mile IMO ,don't go with original stocking plan.:eek:

Are you looking to build your tank around a certain fish? Then take the requirements of that special one or 2 and go from there.

If you are looking for a peaceful tank please choose fish which will get along and are not iffy choices.

Rainbow shark in my opinion need a really large tank maybe more like over 65G I had a RTS in 72G and that thing swam around like crazy all over the place.

More so than can it live in a smaller space yes, but should it, no.

Hatchets are somewhat sensitive to stress in a tank, and they need a decent size group 6-8 min. to feel comfortable with the Marble Hatchets. And yes indeed do they jump.

What fish or fish are the most important to you and build up the rest from there. A starting point is finding a solid point to build a great tank. After there is lots of experience you can do a little more experimental pairings because you can know better what to expect and which behaviors are signs of stress, etc.

I am really glad you are asking questions so that your tank will be the very best home it can be.

Cockatoo apisto's. Would fit nicely with the bn plecos, and barbs. Have you looked at the diff apisto's?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom