Would this tank work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hutch

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was wondering if this tank would work out and if not what the problems would be?

65 gal with adaquate heating and filistar XP2 and Aquarclear 200

2 ID sharks
2 Pictus Cats
1 Black Ghost Knife
1 Fire Eel

I think im overcrowding a bit but Im not sure how much?

ID sharks get to over 40" long, and will start bashing their heads in on the tank ends (and jumping like crazy) once they reach 12"-14" or so.

The fire eel will eventually hit 36" (and thick like your wrist), although it will take some time....but they are escape artists extrordinare, so your tank will need to be very secure.

So, the latter three species until the eel needs upgrading.

I would either stick to pictus cats or to the sharks together with black ghost and fire eel........just my opinion............but then again, i don't own them either. :D

I did hear from someone at my lfs that these sharks can get aggresive once they feel crowded.................HTH

Well then maybe I will move the sharks in with the black knife and the eel

and then keep the pictus in my 25 gal with 2 gold gouramis?

I will upgrade the eel eventually to his own tank but I have a couple years before he is wrist size

I know thats not ideal for the sharks but hopefully they don't get much bigger than 12 inches

What do ya think?

thanks for the posts - Hutch

Hutch said:
I know thats not ideal for the sharks but hopefully they don't get much bigger than 12 inches

But they do...about 30" larger than 12"......why keep them at all unless you can provide them with 2500 gallons?

Toirtis is 100% correct! There is no way to keep Iridescent Sharks (Pangasius hypophthalmus) in a 65 gallon tank for life. A 2500 gallon tank would be enough for a trio of them to be comfortable in.

Obviously there is no way that a full grown ID shark could even fit in a 65 gallon tank. I had heard that ID sharks in aquarium rarely grow larger than 12" and even in 600+ gallon aquarium rarely reach larger than 18".

Stunting a fish's growth is never good but maybe if I can give them a stunted but decent home it will be better than what they end up with if I return them to pets mart?

Hutch said:
I had heard that ID sharks in aquarium rarely grow larger than 12" and even in 600+ gallon aquarium rarely reach larger than 18".

More of a case of rarely survive to grow past 12"......most bash themselves to death or jump out by that size. I have, however, seen quite a few IDs make it to 24"+ in home aquaria.

Alright thanks for the info, my only option is to take them back I guess.

-Hutch

Back
Top Bottom