Would this work as an efficient filter for a 29G freshwater? (I'm eliminating the skimmer part)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thale342

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Would this work as an efficient filter for a 29G freshwater? (I'm eliminating the skimmer part)

I have a CPR backpack protein skimmer that I never used. I threw this together as I believe it would be quite efficient and provide tons of room for a bio filter. I plan on filling the right chamber with bio balls, completely. There is a mesh bag of activated carbon in the middle, and filter bad by the intake. Would this be a good filter, or am I just wasting recourses?

IMG_2068.jpg

What will you keep in the 29? Setting this up the way you propose would make it a nitrate sink. I think just a few pieces of live rock as pictured would be good, and forget the bioballs would be better. If you have a saltwater tank with live rock in your tank, it may be best to use live rock in tank for biofiltration. That makes for a very stable system. If you have primarily fish (rather than a reef tank) you can also plant macroalgae for nitrate export. Or is this for a freshwater tank?

What will you keep in the 29? Setting this up the way you propose would make it a nitrate sink. I think just a few pieces of live rock as pictured would be good, and forget the bioballs would be better. If you have a saltwater tank with live rock in your tank, it may be best to use live rock in tank for biofiltration. That makes for a very stable system. If you have primarily fish (rather than a reef tank) you can also plant macroalgae for nitrate export. Or is this for a freshwater tank?

Sorry, I didn't specify, but it's a freshwater tank.

I think that is a pretty cool reuse of a product. What are the dimensions of this?
You could put additional floss near the bottom of the far right chamber for additional mechanical filtration.

As long as it won't overflow onto the floor??go for it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would sell the backpack and purchase an Aquaclear 50.

Will the CPR work in the fashion you have shared, I can not say... but is is not designed to filter a freshwater aquarium so I'd just get something that is...

I think that is a pretty cool reuse of a product. What are the dimensions of this?
You could put additional floss near the bottom of the far right chamber for additional mechanical filtration.

The dimensions are about 18x8x3.5. Thanks for the suggestion. I am going to do add floss, sponge. And ceramic

I would sell the backpack and purchase an Aquaclear 50.

Will the CPR work in the fashion you have shared, I can not say... but is is not designed to filter a freshwater aquarium so I'd just get something that is...

I'm already running a topfin 30 and a tetra whisper 10-30 internal filter. This was just something I had in my garage and am attempting to repurpose

Back
Top Bottom