Would this work guys?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Ok,

I feel really bad today cause my sisters betta died :cry: and it wasnt my fault

So, im gonna save up some money and buy her a 10 gal tank for her

what i wanna know is this

With the 10 gal and i take some of the water from my tank and fill it up half way and fill the rest up with tap water

then would her tank be cycled? or should i just fill it up all the way with water?

Opinions please?

TIA!

I'm not sure able what is exactly in the water, but I think it's just some nutrients. Biological bacteria are not free swimming they are mainly in the gravel or filter(media).

If you have 2 filter media pads in ur current filter and would'nt mind putting some in the new 10gallon tank then it would be cycled instantly.

Failing that you can read able fish and fish-less cycling, but it's more humane if you do fish-less cycling.

To read more goto:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15

You'll have to wait for one of the more experienced members on cycling posts, as i'm just starting myself :) Only had a tank for about 4 months!

Hope this helps! :)

I don't think it will be cycled imo. If you first run the filter in your tank for a while then it will be mostly cycled, and then you could have some of your water and some of your substrate.

well what if i give her MY bio bag and i get hers? either that or i can buy another bio bag

do all Whipser Filters have the same size bio bag?

Well, your tank would have to cycle again, not as big when it was first cycled but i've never lost a fish from re-cycleing. You might have that same luck!

I suggest you cycle the tank the fish-less way, it will take longer but it does'nt put your other tank at risk.

In the long run the results will be better, good luck :)

well what if i give her MY bio bag and i get hers? either that or i can buy another bio bag

Not a great idea. This would get rid of a lot of your nitrifying bacteria, and since you didn't cycle your tank in the first place(I'm assuming since you had that problem with ammonia spikes), this would most definitley cause problems.

You could however, get another bio-bag and place it in your tank someplace. Then use it in the filter for the 10 gallon. This wouldn't instantly cycle, but it would get you on your way.
do all Whipser Filters have the same size bio bag?
It varies for the size of filter. Everything 10-20 gallon and under uses the same 'medium' filter, I think. Everything above that uses "large".

Good luck!

hey style, i know all i need about the cycle

thanks anyway

thanks,

altough you seem to know alotta bout FW Fish

what i wanna know is that if i am able topu shell dweller in my tank

(this is a combo that i want most likely wont work tho)
Shell Dwellers
Clown Loaches
Angelfish's
Yellow Lab
Convicts
Head Tail light Tetras
Betta Imbelis
and
An Oscar( i know oscars are really agressive i read up on them it says this Temperament: BEWARE!)

can you guys tell me which of those fish would go well toghether?

Shell dwellers for a FW tank? I don't think that would work, unless you mean snails, i've got some Aqua Snails myself and they're quite cool. As for the other fish im not sure.

no, im not talking about snails

im talking about fish CALLED shell dwellers

they like live in empty snail shells, which is why im letting like 4 of my snails grow REALLY really big so that way i can get 2 shell dwellers(1 male 1 female) and they lay eggs in the shell and protect the fry

but i just found out they want high pH :(

Hey rudy, why not buy the filter first. On your weekly pwc soak all the rinsed filter media in the old tank water for awhile. (20 minutes or so) Then let the filter run with your tank for awhile (3 weeks or so). Then use some of your tank water and then tap water. Remove all the little air bubbles from new tank and then hook up the now "seeded" filter and it should be good to go. I just used this method when upgrading from 20gal to 75gal. I saw one week worth of ammonia at 0.25 - 0.5 with only one water change in the middle. HTH and good luck with the new tank.

well its gonna take me a while to set up this new tank

i just needed to know if this is possible

Soaking the filter media in the water i use to do my PWC s and let the filter run in that water and after a few weeks when i get the tank and fill it up with my new water from my PWC i want to know if that will be an IC

No, because the bacteria that are in your old tankwater from your PWCs will die with only the filter running in the water and no fish to provide an ammonia source. The easiest way to cycle a new filter is to run a new filter on your tank for a couple of weeks. Your own tank likely isn't cycled either so please don't take out your Bio Bag and give it to your sister... your fish will appreciate you keeping it for them! :mrgreen:

but my tank IS cycled, its been done for 2 weeks now so i think i know if my tank is cycled or not

I agree with Severum. The best way for you to cycle the new tank is to put the filtration unit on your tank, let it build up bacteria for several weeks, and then put it on her tank. Instant cycle! That's what I'm doing for my QT filtration unit.

Regarding your fish stock:

Shell Dwellers: Not sure what they are. I can't help you here.
Clown Loaches: They will get to 12 inches in length. NOT reccommended for a 10 gal tank.
Angelfish's: You already know quite a bit about these, BUT, they are going to get at about 6 inches in size and won't be too happy in a 10 gal tank when they get bigger.
Yellow Lab: An African Cichlid. They are fun fish, but again, 10 gal is too small for these guys. Plus they like a higher pH, high 7's, low 8's.
Convicts: South American Cichlid. They will also get to be about 6 inches in size and a tank size of about 30 gal. 10 is too small for them.
Head Tail light Tetras: Perfect for a 10 gal tank.
Betta Imbelis: Also perfect for a 10 gal tank.
and
An Oscar: WAY too small of a tank. They will get HUGE.

The Betta and Tetra combo sounds good.

i wasnt talking about those fish for the 10 gal i was talkin about putting those in my 29 gal

also i meant having MY filter and the new filter running in my tank so that way i have extra clean water and then after some bacteria starts growing in the new filter i am gonna fill up her tank with the water from my PWC 's and then i wanna know if i will have the instant cycle

Ok, here's the deal... I said your tank likely isn't done cycling yet because I thought I noticed you are still having problems with your water perameters, and fish deaths. You also seemed to mention doing a PWC in your 29 gallon tank, saving some of the old tankwater, and running the filter in the old tankwater for a couple weeks:

"Soaking the filter media in the water i use to do my PWC s and let the filter run in that water and after a few weeks when i get the tank and fill it up with my new water from my PWC i want to know if that will be an IC"

....at least that's what it sounded like to me. If that's what you mean, it will not work because the bacteria in the old tankwater will die without an ammonia source. If you mean running both filters on the tank for a few weeks, as I (and others) have suggested then yes, it will work fine. It will not be an instant cycle (you will still have to monitor your perameters) but you shouldn't have any problems- I've set up a few tanks that way and never had any problems.

Now for your stocking options (yes I realize this is for a 29 gallon tank):
"(this is a combo that i want most likely wont work tho)
Shell Dwellers
Clown Loaches
Angelfish's
Yellow Lab
Convicts
Head Tail light Tetras
Betta Imbelis
and
An Oscar( i know oscars are really agressive i read up on them it says this Temperament: BEWARE!)"

shellies- I don't know much about shell dwellers, but I hear they are pretty small and shy so there is no way they could live with either convicts or oscars. Being African cichlids, they also require a much higher pH than the other fish you have listed.

convicts- As a convict owner I can tell you that your other fish would probably be harrassed to death by a convict, ESPECIALLY if you have a pair. A pair of cons would live in a 29 gallon if they were the only fish in the tank.

clown loaches- they're schooling fish that can grow to over 12 inches. Full grown CLs would need at least a 75 gallon tank IMO.

yellow labs- they're peaceful as far as African cichlids go, but I still definitely would not try it in your tank. They also grow up to 5 inches, I believe, so with the stock you already have there would be no room for them. Also, they need a much higher pH than the other fish you keep.

head and tail light tetras- your tank seems pretty much stocked already, but they are a possibility if you take back some of your other fish. They are peaceful schooling fish that prefer to be in groups of 6 or more, and at this point I don't think you have room in your tank for a group of 6 tetras in addition to all the mollies.

angels- I wouldn't do it, given the fact that your tank has a pretty full bioload and isn't very established. They can also be aggressive and may harrass the mollies.

betta imbelis- not sure... is this a different species of betta?

oscar- absolutely not. Oscars are large aggressive cichlids and can grow up to 14 inches I believe. The minimum tank size for a grown oscar would be 75 gallons IMO and that would be pushing it. I wouldn't recommend growing out a baby oscar in your tank either- once it got big enough all your other fish would simply be lunch.

Look, I'm not trying to have an attitude toward you so please refrain from doing so to me. I'm only trying to help you, and your fish, out. 8)

Back
Top Bottom