Would this work in a 20g L?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessicafish

Aquarium Advice Freak
6 celestial Pearl danios
6 rummy nose tetras (or neon because I don't know if I can find rummy nose)
1 dwarf gourami
10 ghost shrimp

Would the activity level be okay and is it over stocked?

I would say that might be under stocked actually... You got easily fit a school of cowries for the bottom and maybe some more tetras or danios if u want :)

I've thought about Cories but I'm using gravel and so I can't have them. So you think 8 of each school would even be okay?

What type of gravel? I have some smaller smooth gravel and the cories I have are just fine. No rot or barbel damage at all.

6 celestial Pearl danios
6 rummy nose tetras (or neon because I don't know if I can find rummy nose)
1 dwarf gourami
10 ghost shrimp

Would the activity level be okay and is it over stocked?

The problem you may have with this stock is the gourami and shrimp. I had black skirt tetras and they ate every single one of my red cherry shrimp. Gourami are known to be semi-aggressive and the shrimp may become dinner. Though the bigger stronger shrimp may be able to swim away in time.
What decorations/plants will you have?

I don't have the gravel yet but if I get the same type as I have in my other tanks it will be to sharp. I don't want to risk it so I'd rather stay away from them.

As far as decorations go I like natural themed so driftwood, fake plants, moss balls, stones, that kinda stuff. I'm looking for a nice piece of manzanita for this tank. I have a nice big piece of holy rock in my 10g that I might move as well.

I don't have the gravel yet but if I get the same type as I have in my other tanks it will be to sharp. I don't want to risk it so I'd rather stay away from them.

As far as decorations go I like natural themed so driftwood, fake plants, moss balls, stones, that kinda stuff. I'm looking for a nice piece of manzanita for this tank. I have a nice big piece of holy rock in my 10g that I might move as well.

Ok, as long as there are a decent amount of hiding places, the shrimp should be ok for the most part. When you do get the shrimp and fish, remember to put the shrimp in first so they can float down to the bottom without being snatched up by a hungry mouth.
Ghost shrimp are almost transparent so the fish will have a harder time finding them. Jk :lol:

I already have 1 ghost shrimp so that's why I was planning on getting more. I have an extra three gallon that they can move to if I start noticing that some are missing.

My local stores have dwarf gourami, but not rummy nose tetras or celestial petal danios. I'm gonna have to plan a trip to Houston for when I'm ready to get them!
I'm not 100% on this stock yet either

My local stores have dwarf gourami, but not rummy nose tetras or celestial petal danios. I'm gonna have to plan a trip to Houston for when I'm ready to get them!
I'm not 100% on this stock yet either

Dwarf gourami are prob the most common type of gourami. Rummy noses and celestial pearl danios will be harder to find. I'm sure you can find them in any privately owned fish store.

I live about 2hr from Houston which is where I'll probably get them. My grandma lives there so I can send her with pictures to various pet stores to check.

I would consider sand as a substrate if i were u. If you get play sand a hardware store, I would probably be cheaper, and you'd have a ton left over for other tanks. (50lbs >$10) then you could get the cories or maybe some kuhli loaches

Now that I think of it sand would probably be much better. If I were to do a school of kuhli loaches would this stock be okay

8 rummy nose tetras (somebody on another forum told me these were too active for a 20g L. Is that true?)

8 celestial pearl danios (I heard they require a different temp?)

1 dwarf gourami (could I have an angelfish if I got a 29g?)

4 Kuhli loaches (would 6 be better?)

Okay so this is what I just learned

Kuhli loaches favorite temperature is 79-82

Rummy noses favorite temperature is 72-82

Celestial pearl danios favorite temperature is 73-79

Dwarf gourami favorite temperature is 72-82

They're all in the same range!! They all like the same decorations as well! Tall plants, surface cover, driftwood, and stones, I was planning on doing all this anyways!

I have kuhli loaches and they are the funniest little things ever :lol:
Yeah 6 would be better because they like to "play" in groups. What type are you getting? Striped or black?

Back
Top Bottom