would two aquclear 30's be overkill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattman0182

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 29 gallon aquarium with an aquaclear 30 filter on the left side. I was thinking about adding a second of the same size on the right side.
would this be too much? Seems like the one I have now is working really hard.

Extra filtration is hardly ever a bad thing. Unless you have fancy gf, male betta or other long finned fish that doesn't like alot of current to swim in.
I have an aquaclear 50 and a aqua tech 5-15 on a 20gal long.

I have two young bristlenose plecos and an african clawed frog. Water is not perfectly clear though because of decayed plant mater. Needless to say I am done with real plants in aquariums. :/

sorry to hear that.
I'm at the other end of the spectrum "for now" I just recently figured out the whole planted tank thing. "Enough to keep them alive n growing anyways.

You want the filters combined, how ever many you have, to have the gph 7 times the amount of water you have in the tank, in your case 29 gallons would be 200-210 gph.

Actually with having two pleco's is reason enough to run two filters. Having two will only increase your water quality. I run 2 filters on most all of my tanks and also agree that you can't have too much filtration.

I have an aqua tech 30-60 and an aqueon quiet flow on my 30g. I have them side by side kinda in the middle of my tank, I have to have it like this because of how the opening on the back or my hood is. I can honestly say I see a huge difference in how clear my water is a when I only had the quiet flow 30 as my only filter.

Some people don't have alot of faith in aqua-techs from walmart. I currently have 2 30-60 aqua techs on a 55gal african cichlid tank thats overstocked somewhat. Those two filters have been running for 2yrs now with no issues. I personally think that if someone's on a budget then Aqua-techs the way to go. I don't use their filter pads though. I put mesh bags of bio media in each of them and my only complaint is just the fact that there could be more room for extra media in them.
I'm getting a rena filstar xp3 for x-mas so those 30-60's will be split up between 2-29gal. fry rearing tanks.

The more filtration the better! (Unless you've got a fish that doesn't like too much current)

With two filters instead of one, couldn't you reduce the current in both? You'd still have 30gph, but spread between two set to Medium instead of one running full out.

29 Gallon Tank Filtration

I have a 29 gallon aquarium with an aquaclear 30 filter on the left side. I was thinking about adding a second of the same size on the right side.
would this be too much? Seems like the one I have now is working really hard.

Hello matt...

To filter your 29 G properly, you need a filter with a gallon per hour (gph) rating 6 times the size of your tank. A filter with a gph of 175 is needed. So, your AC 30 is too small to do the job. A second AC 30 would work or an AC 20 would be sufficent. But, you need to add some filtration to your tank.

B

I have 3 filters a fluval u2 and two fluval u3's. I still think that isn't enough for my 30g!

Proper Tank Filtration

The key to a healthy tank is large, frequent water changes, not over filtering the tank. If you look at your tank as an "unflushed" toilet, then you can understand that the dirty water has to be removed. The filters are just taking in dirty water and putting back the same water, only it's not quite as dirty.

However, if you're what many refer to as a water change "slacker", then you'll want to fit as many filters into your tank as possible, to keep the water just a tiny bit cleaner. The bad news is, the filters will never take the place of flushing a lot of pure, treated tap water through the tank.

Just a thought.

B

Back
Top Bottom