Would you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tamtam

Aquarium Advice Addict
So last night I finally made it into the local marine store I've been trying to get to for weeks. Picked up my lovely Koi angel finally! They carry a good stock of freshwater fish and keep expanding which is excellent news for me. We have 1 other store in the city that sells fish and it's not very good.

Anyhow. I was poking around seeing what little treasures they had and noted their bettas. They firstly have their bettas housed in actual tanks, not those little cups. Actual tanks with heaters, filters and plants. I was impressed to see this. They were beautiful and I so wanted to snatch one up.

Anyways, I was looking and noticed they have 3 ten gallon tanks with betta and guppy living together. I was talking with the guy working about how that's a combo you don't see and he said they have been housed together for a few weeks now. He was surprised to see them together himself but the manager received a few extra on his shipment and had no where else to put them and wanted to give this a try before resorting to putting them in bowls. They've been watching closely but have had no issues so far. I was looking and all of the fish are healthy and happy and there are zero signs of fin damage.

Now this has me thinking and wanting. I have an empty 20 gallon tank right now I've been thinking about setting up. I could def nab some guppy and one of those betta and give it a shot. I'm just not sure the risk of things going south down the road if the betta decides enough is enough.

Do you think you would try it? It was such a nice looking tank with the combination.

You have a 50/50 chance at success... lol. Really it all depends on the temperment of the betta. Some are mellow and some are terrors. The problem with bettas and guppy's is that often times the guppy's bright colors and long flowing tails (males) really set bettas off. Personally I think it reminds them of another male betta. I used to keep a betta in most of my tanks in the 80's but after having a few not nice bettas I finally quit doing it. Many people keep them together but to me it's not worth the risk of the non betta fish getting nipped up or down right attacked. This is a touchy subject with some as everyone has had different expierences with bettas living in community tanks. So I'm a "no" I wouldn't do it.

yea, usually I wouldn't either. I'm also mostly of the "bettas do best alone" mind set but was so surprised that they've been together for a few weeks with no issues. I've been on the quest for a smaller tank for a single betta but haven't been having much luck so far and was just thinking about my 20 at home while looking at them.

So....not to hijack the thread...but I am also about to set up a 10 gallon planted for a beta. I was hoping to have a few companions in with him and have been thinking about what. My latest idea is to have an apple snail and a small school of micro fish...undecided on which would be coolest. I've been meaning to ask about cories and yoyo loaches tho...would they work? Im not real big on shrimp just yet...they kind of remind me of bugs (my daughter and husband laugh at me) but they are growing on me. I'm just really trying to decide if I just need to get a smaller tank and just keep the beta by himself.

So....not to hijack the thread...but I am also about to set up a 10 gallon planted for a beta. I was hoping to have a few companions in with him and have been thinking about what. My latest idea is to have an apple snail and a small school of micro fish...undecided on which would be coolest. I've been meaning to ask about cories and yoyo loaches tho...would they work? Im not real big on shrimp just yet...they kind of remind me of bugs (my daughter and husband laugh at me) but they are growing on me. I'm just really trying to decide if I just need to get a smaller tank and just keep the beta by himself.

I wouldn't go smaller honestly. You'll be surprised at how much he will use the space.

Corys and loaches IMO are not best for a 10 gallon. I'd go at least 20 for those. You could do the snail. You could try a small school of nanos but it's hit or miss. I have no hands on experience with them but hear some of them are more timid and may spend their time hiding from the betta. CPDs come to mind.

I've often heard of people pairing otos with bettas in a 10. It may be something ot look into. You would want your tank well established before adding them as they are sensitive fish though.

The problem with larger snails like apple's is that alot of times (again not always and depends on the individual betta's disposition) bettas will nip their antennae off. I think they do this because the antennae looks alot like wiggling worms. There are some very pretty larger tiger nerite snails that come in different colors and patterns that can be used because these snail don't come out of their shell very far and their antennae are small and lay wrapped around close to thier shells.

And micro fish may or may not work. To me its just not worth the risk. Sometimes cory's will work simply because they stay on the bottom, aren't brightly colored, and the bettas stay in the upper levels. Don't know about loaches... loaches are devilish (at least all mine are) and might actually like to pester the betta. My loaches like to get under a large angel every now and then and appears to use their barbels to tickle under the angel. Drives the angels nuts but thankfully the loach/loaches get tired of that game very quickly.

tamtam said:
I wouldn't go smaller honestly. You'll be surprised at how much he will use the space.

Corys and loaches IMO are not best for a 10 gallon. I'd go at least 20 for those. You could do the snail. You could try a small school of nanos but it's hit or miss. I have no hands on experience with them but hear some of them are more timid and may spend their time hiding from the betta. CPDs come to mind.

I've often heard of people pairing otos with bettas in a 10. It may be something ot look into. You would want your tank well established before adding them as they are sensitive fish though.

Okay...thanks. I knew I would need to check to see if the smaller cories and yoyo loaches could even live in a ten...it was on the to do list. Otos are cute and would fit the purpose fine...so that works. I really do hate the idea of putting the beta in a smaller tank...so that's cool. I just want to rescue every beta I see in the stores from those little cups...poor fish. Another thought I had for the ten tho is threadfin rainbowfish...anyone know how many could live in a ten gallon tho?

I have Threadfins and while they can I am afraid the betta would really go after the males especially when they display thier long fancy fins at each other. Plus you can't really appreciate the males fancy displays in such a small tank.

Rivercats said:
I have Threadfins and while they can I am afraid the betta would really go after the males especially when they display thier long fancy fins at each other. Plus you can't really appreciate the males fancy displays in such a small tank.

I ment instead of the beta...not with him. I know that wouldn't work. ;-). I hadn't thought of putting the thread fins in a large tank...we have a 135...I thought they would kind of get lost. I also have my 55 gallon I'm finally getting to set up. (Hubby buying Eco-complete and pfs today...yay). Maybe thread fins in that one.

Anyway...sorry for going off topic...

I actually have 12 in my 220g and love them. Am seriously considering getting more and they will spawn (although in my tank the yo-yo loaches come in behind them and eat all the eggs... lol). If you give them a few floating plants (I have about 5 smaller water hyacinths) and some type of moss (I have fissens) that is all they need for spawning. You will find they spawn first thing in the morning. Mine usually wait to spawn until right after they eat... go figure. They do this every few weeks. So yeah, depending on what other fish you have in the 135 I'd definitely think about getting some. They will also color up nicely as they settle in and mature. Even the females turn a yellowie neonish green.

I used to have a betta in my tank with guppy few fin nips to start with then no problems at all I had them in a 40g tank with many others to lived happy for years

I have had a very positive experience with my male plakat betta in a 20 gallon with 8 yellow phantom tetras and 7 cories. If you have just a 10, then ottos would be better than cories.

As for the tank setup, I have floating plants for cover, lots of other plants and driftwood that provides several caves.

To introduce the betta, I set up the tank and cycled it before adding fish. Then all of the other fish were added. I got the betta and kept him in a 5 gallon bucket for a couple of weeks with a betta log. He got used to the log as his territory...

Then I put him in to the 20 gallon. He flared at the tetras to let them know he won't tolerate them nipping at him. He completely ignored the cories.

Actually my peppered Cory swims to the top of the tank to search for food in the plants. He would go near the betta a lot, but the betta never got aggressive towards him.

Now, months later, the betta swims back and forth with the albino cories and I've caught him even resting on the bottom with them!

I'm a big fan of the floating betta log. I think it helps establish a territory for the betta and it's a good place for him to hide in. I feed him in there to make sure he gets his food and he swims to it when I open the lid.

Also, the plakat has no problem swimming in the current with his smaller fins.

I say go for it! Just watch the fish closely to see how they are adjusting. Always add the betta last...

Botanica said:

My female betta freaked when she was released with fast moving fish

I had my crown tail Betta in a 20g long with my Cory's, white clouds, and golden tetras with no problems. He grew to love watching the Cory's swimming on the bottom and never attacked any other fish, maybe just a flare once or twice. In fact the only problem was when I took in a friend's serpae tetra. He ended up killing my Betta :/. I now hate those fish.

Serpae tetras are evil! I saw them attacking cories in a Petco!

Back
Top Bottom