Would you buy an used filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big C

Aquarium Advice Freak
Would you buy an used filter over the internet? How do you make sure it's clean enough to put it in your aquarium?

thank you

If you're speaking of a source like Aquabid or eBay, no. There is no way to know if the device even works, let alone clean. The problem is that if the item is defective, you have to go through way too many changes in trying to rectify the issue than any potential savings you may get.

However, picking this type of item up at an Aquarium Club auction or being sold by another member of a forum such as AA is far better IMO.

If I had to choose between the 2 I would go with the Fluval. I had an Eheim ecco 2234 on my 46 and the flow rate is just too low to move much water. It filtered well enough but I needed to add an AC hob filter to increase the water movement.I since replaced both with a Rena Filstar xp-2 and it does a good job by itself. I run the 404 on my 80 gallon planted tank and it does just fine.

Thank you, guys. I was actually looking into e-bay but I guess I'll stay away from it now.

BTW "J", I just looked into an old post about angels were you asked me where had I been? I travel quite a bit for business and when I do, everything gets behind at home, so I have to catch up and cannot make time for my hobby. When that happens, I miss you guys enormously!!! :( I still try to take a peek from time to time but I don't have time to reply.

And this is why I show up sporadically.

Last weekend, i went to my local Aquarium Society meeting (SVAS). They have an auction every month. I bought 2 used Fluval 303 with all the goodies for $35.00 for the pair. I took them home, cleaned them up...bought new media, and voila I have 1 running on my 55 gallon, and am thinking of selling the other one to get my $35 back. ;-)

All in all I am very happy with this purchase.

Heh...btw... I now have a used TetraTec 500 to get rid of <g>

Big C said:
BTW "J", I just looked into an old post about angels were you asked me where had I been? I travel quite a bit for business and when I do, everything gets behind at home, so I have to catch up and cannot make time for my hobby. When that happens, I miss you guys enormously!!! :( I still try to take a peek from time to time but I don't have time to reply.

And this is why I show up sporadically.

Precisely why I inquired...just glad that you are ok. Had kinda missed ya. :)

I'm always a little jealous, in a good way, when you guys talk about the great deals and swaps you make in local aquarium societies. I cannot find any around home!!!

Jchillin said:
Precisely why I inquired...just glad that you are ok. Had kinda missed ya. :)
Thank you! :D

I will buy online, and I was going to do it yesterday but I held off. My stand wont be ready until next week and I have to buy more than just a filter online, and I wasnt ready to do it yesterday but I want to double my points on wednesday.
I was leaning towards the fluval but the cascade 1000 is 25 bucks cheaper and seems to do the job as well. I have a week to decide but unless someone gives me a good reason not to go with the cascade it sounds like that is the one for me.

I bought all of my filters used.. heck, I even salvaged one from the trash.. The only filter I can think of that I bought new was a Whisper 5. If I was to purchase a filter from e-bay I would make sure I was getting a good enough deal that if I had to fix it I would still be ahead. I cant think of anything thats not repairable at least to make it functional on any filter.. Ive even repaired cracked filter boxes with super glue.

Hey Green, how do you make sure they're clean enough for your aquarium? I mean, no diseases, no toxins, you know, nothing that is going to contaminate your tank.

Oh and rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse.. until you feel confortable with the cleanliness of it.. I do this with everything thats going into or making contact with the water in my tank..

Back
Top Bottom