Wow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timwag2001

Aquarium Advice FINatic
:confused:
so i'm looking at my tank and out of the corner of my eye, and under the gravel, i find
baby.jpg

baby2.jpg

baby3.jpg

freebaby.jpg
any clue what it is?

i couldnt beleive it. it was under the gravel, pressed up against the glass. no idea how it got there

I have the same gravel and when I was feeding some guppy fry to my angel fish it escaped and ended up stuck in the gravel. I thought I just had a "special" guppy. LOL.

I don't know how old your fry is but I think it is a liverbearer from your list, females can store sperm for several months so could be a molly or a platy.

If you have live plants you have an anubia and it looks like the rhizome is buried. It might be the angle I am looking at it.

if you're talking about the plant up front with only 2 leaves left. whats a rhizome and am i doing something wrong? is that why the other leaves are gone? i'm new to the planting thing.

A rhizome is functionally similar to a root, but not exactly the same thing. It serves to anchor the plant and it takes up some nutrients, but it should not be buried. Anubias anchor on surfaces like a lichen or tree-growing fern. The rhizome will rot if buried and the plant will die.

The proper way to plant those things is to tie them on to a rock, piece of driftwood, or other tank ornament with thread or fishing line. They will over time attach themselves to the object, and the thread can be removed (or cotton thread will rot).

what do you mean?
The rhizome is the big fleshy part of the plant the has the leaves and the roots growing out of it...check on my album there is a nana petite anubia that is sorta hiding the cory eggs. The blue thread is holding it to a rock. Yours looks like a barter anubia.

i definitely had fry hide by burying into the gravel before. it's scary at first, but i guess they just do that.

Back
Top Bottom