Wow heater malfunciton??? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ASAP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abomb

Aquarium Advice Regular
What the (Bleep) i came home from class and looked at my temp on my tank and bam it had raised 8 degrees!!!! this is messed up. COuld it be the themoeter? the heater? whats happening. My fish are all lathargic too. HSould i unplugg the heater. The light wont go off even tho i turned the gage down. im concerned and pissed.

Adam

What size is the tank? What brand of heater is it? What kind of thermometer? What is the temperature at now?

I think I have a hagan on one of my 10g's. It's the cheap kind that every newby burns. I think it's on the way out because even week or two the tank takes a huge temperate swing upwards. I'm at the point of not even using it anymore and just letting the water adjust to room temperature.

To answer your question, it probably is the heater. My advice would be to go get a good one. You may spend a bit more on it but it's better than cooking your fish. Tronics are good, so are those Hager ones.

HTH

its the heater that came with a kit form wal mart. 10 gal tank. and the themoeter is just one that suction cups to the side of the tank. THe thememtor is th eonly one they sell round here green suction cup. i have 3 corys a killi and 5 neons in the tank its at 86 degrees. what heater should i get how much am i looking at spending? how can i prevent this with a good heater?

ANOTHER dead heater from a Wal Mart kit!?!? My Wal Mart heater died, two of my friend's Wal Mart heaters died. I posted about it online and found out that a bunch of other people's Wal Mart heaters died too. These heaters apparently fail far more often than they work correctly, I feel bad for any fish in a tank with one of these heaters :cry:

Visi Therm and Ebo Jager make good heaters that are readily availible in many places. Expect to pay $30+ at most pet stores, or $13+ online. I would throw away the Wal Mart junk and not think twice.

We had a power outage a little while back, while I was at work. I came home to find that my heater (surprisingly, NOT a Walmart one -- although I don't recall what kind it is) had been "reset" or something. The light was staying on, and the fish were cooking in 86 degree water. Lots of water changes -- (55 gal tank) 20 gal out, 20 back in, repeat, repeat, repeat -- brought the temp back down. Bought a new heater, and it's been fine ever since. *knocks on wood*

I've had a 150 W Challenger in my 55G for five years now with no probs. (2 years running, 1 year in storage, and 2 more again)

Back
Top Bottom