WTF?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mother

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

Got something weird in my gallery. It's the image labeled mystery.

This is an honest question, i'm new to all of this and appreciate any help or mocking you can provide, please explain the more fish owner oriented mocking so I can laugh too.

Mother

I have answered a similar question before and this is what i said

"If you did not buy them in the LFS, and they do not look like babies of any of the organism you did buy; then that means they names are not on the guest list, and they have gatecrashed you tank party and should be bounced off the dance floor. I think??
Only the pretty ones should be allowed in. "

if you get Scottw68TN around he will "rough them up in the alley" too. LOL

see http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=9933

LMAO! I dunno whats funnier...the bouncer idea or the location (lawn guyland?! LOL You in Long Island mother?)

As for the mystery guest, does it move by itself at all? It sorta looks like a nematode, but if so, a pretty damn long one!

I am on Long Island, one of the few places in this country where you don't live in, you live on. People live IN Clinton Iowa, however we live ON Long Island, do you live in Nantucket? or on Nantucket...I guess Rhode island would get an ON over IN too huh? dunno...anyway off the hijacking, and onto the original mystery.

It didn't seem to be moving, and it appeared to come from nowhere in a matter of like say an hour. It is gone now, but i'm wondering what it was. Also, I have considered the theory that it is nothing more then waste material that my giant comet relieved himself of, but being a newb fish owner, i've never seen clear waste.

Mother

Clear/white poo can be a sign of intestinal parasites, but I dunno if that was a poo...that was awful long LOL and would have taken a while to...erm...make its full appearance? I'm betting you would have seen it attached first.

Next time you gravel vac, take a good look at what comes up. If you see more of those its prob those nematodes (harmless, usually show up in tanks with messy eaters).

Some filamentous algae looks like that. I have a bit of a (shameful) algae problem in my tank, and when I removed one of my filters, I noticed that the intake had some long stringy things on it that looked a lot like the.... wierd thing... in your tank. So, it could have been algae that was somehow plucked out of its usual place. They'll tend to grow that long if they're in a current.

But there are SOOO many forms of algae, none of which I really like! So I have no idea what species it is, if it is algae.

In terms of mocking. Gosh. A freebie? An opportunity to mock and not be reprimanded?

Well since you mentioned Nantucket, perhaps a limerick?

There was a young lass from Long Island (lad?)
Whose fish waste production was violent (read violand)
When asked what it was
She said "must be crap 'coz
What else do we have ON Long Island?"

Just a bit of Tri-State and waste-dump (lots of them on LI--just passed by a few a couple of weeks ago) humor. You're lucky you don't live in NJ!

(No offense intended!)

LOL nice limerick...as far as waste dumps tho...not many that I know of out here, I know in Oceanside there are some, and Staten Island (we call it the perfume factory, the stink is enough to make you cram dead skunks and rotten fish in the air vents for relief) but I dunno if there are many more...never really thought of it...

What we consider to be crap here, well thats easy to spot:

Any kid with his pants around his mid thighs so we can see the brand of boxers he conveniently tucked his 8 sizes to big t-shirt into.

Low riding, rubber band tire having, folger coffee can sized exhaust pipe dragging, japanese made cars with lots of lame stickers, neon kits and wings that could keep a semi on the ground at 800 MPH. Usually on backwards creating lift instead of downforce...side note here folks...gonna slap a 4 foot tall 8 foot wide wing on a geo metro, how about making sure you read up on aerodynamics and downforce and physics first...just for me k?

and last but not least, common to both NJ and Long Island, the breed I most closely associate with...the last of the long haired warriors...Nothing like running into a guy you haven't seen since you were in a mosh pit with them 15 yrs ago, and he looks like he's wearing the same clothes. Most likely he hasn't gotten so much as a trim since then so his hair is down to his knees, and he's whining about getting hassled by cops in his 1974 Monte Carlo that's painted flat black with skull stickers decorating the lower body panels.

BACK TO THE FISH:

It didn't move on its own and it was like 4 inches long. So I think it's not a nematode...altho...i'm not sure which is why im here.

It is in a new tank (less then two weeks old) so is it possible to grow a 4 inch long string of white algae in that time?

It is 4 inches long, which keeps me from thinking its any form of fish waste.

buh...who knows...glad its gone for now.

Mother

Do you think it could have been a dead horsehair worm? Horsehair worms ride as parasites in crickets/grasshoppers, and when a carrier cricket/hopper hits water (toilet bowl - fidos water dish - etc) the horsehair worm will evacuate. Normally they writhe around but if that is indeed a horsehair worm then it was dead. I'm not saying theres crickets in your house or anything but I know the horsehair/cricket thing to be researched fact. So perhaps a cricket hopped in the tank and his passenger evacuated and died. Yes, this is a weird post and I am probably incorrect. But its worth a shot. I have seen different color (light and dark both) horsehairs in our pond. Here is a link...

http://lancaster.unl.edu/enviro/pest/Nebline/HorseHairWorm.htm
PS your section on "fast and furious" wannabes is pretty hilarious.. hehe.. we have our share here too (IA) I like to watch them get pulled over after the "backwards hat" wearing kids do stuff like blowing through a stoplight at 80mph.

Yeah, the ones I've driven to are around Jamaica Bay (so Queens, technically). Still, same island. They have a pretty extensive program going on now since Fresh Kills was closed after 9/11 wreckage filled it up. I think a lot of NYC's garbage is going to Western Long Island now.

Actually goldie waste can get quite long when they are constipated. My 2" fantail sometimes trails poop that is 3" long or more! :)

Long white, stringy waste, esp zigzag looking ones, may be reabsorbed eggs that is being expelled .. if your's is a female, that may be it.

keeping somewhat on topic, it's one of the black moores. The other two are emitting normally, but the one moore looks like its letting out long semi clear droppings. So is it safe to assume its a a parasite?
Or how can I determine sex of Black Moores so I can figure out if it's eggs...

I guess im asking...so...what now?

Mother
"slowly becoming fish poop expert"

jsoong, that's probably it, a lot more plausible theory than my horsehair worm theory. :)

A QUART of mucous a DAY? YUCK!! :drain: lol

Although the Goldies websites said to watch out if poop is clear or white, I didn't treat mine with anything when I saw white poop. The fish was acting just fine & so forth, & I hate to treat for something that isn't there.

Anyway, I've now noticed that whenever my goldies get constipated, the put out long strings of poop, sometimes clear mixed in with dark. I treat it by feeding peas & it is usually better in a day or 2.

PS, I've since found out that all fancy goldies (including the mores) are susceptable to constipation & resulting swim bladder problems, and the best thing is to prevent it by feeding green stuff. So I gave mine peas every other day. Besides, mine go nuts over peas.

As for sexing goldies, you can tell the males by the "breeding tubercles" over the gill plates & pectoral fins during breeding season (spring), but not till they are 1-2 years old.

Here's a pic of that:

Back
Top Bottom