WTH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logansmomma1228

Aquarium Advice Addict
So the filter for the 5 gallon stopped working this morning, and no matter what I did it wouldn't work. So I started a thread about it and then it just magically started working again lol. What is the deal? Are all filters like this or just the crappy ones maybe? This is an Aqua-Tech 5-15 but I am pretty sure that is the same one I have on my 10 and there have been no issues with it.

I've gone through a few aqua-techs and they definitely aren't the best. I would try to get an AquaClear if you can. The cheapest are usually on Ebay or Amazon.

Just the crappy ones.

Buy the best, buy AquaClear.
All I'll ever own again, been running the same 500s, 300s and 200s for over a decade.
I replaced one motor, and every few years I replace the impeller/impeller shafts if they get worn.

Anyways, check the impeller and shaft, flush the impeller well out and clean with a bristle pipe cleaner or q-tips.

Rookie uses AquaTech, and he has never had problems, but I had one die on me too. I like the AC, but it's a little noisy, and my bio-wheels aren't.

Rookie uses AquaTech, and he has never had problems, but I had one die on me too. I like the AC, but it's a little noisy, and my bio-wheels aren't.

Well... I USED aquatech filters and never had a problem, until two 5-15's went out on me within a week of each other... until that point, i loved them. But... after getting an ac50 with a 10g a while back, I wont ever buy any other brand HOB. Both at's that i had just quit working, then started back a few minutes later, then quit working again. I found that if i stuck something down the tube and jump started the impeller, it would work for a while... just didnt trust them after that.

I use aquatech filters and I can't say as I have ever had a problem with them of course I may have just jinxed my self....guess I'd better start looking at new filters...lol.

Lol. Well when I got these tanks I bought them before I did any research so they came in the kits. I was checking out different kinds of filters though, and I think I will be trying out different ones slowly. Going to start with the AC because I have read all over that these are good HOBs and I don't plan on messing with other kinds of filters just yet.

I had my AC for over two years and I have never had a problem with it. I don't think I would ever get any other HOB. I used to have a Bio-wheel but I definitely prefer my AC. If you can get them cheap I think they are the way to go!

I have 2 qualms about the AC's. The vibrating noise it makes sometimes, and how much harder it is to clean out that the bio-wheels....

I never saw either on mine...mine was a 110 so it was fairly large and even being a 6'3" guy I never had a problem getting my hand down in there to clean it.

I have 2 qualms about the AC's. The vibrating noise it makes sometimes, and how much harder it is to clean out that the bio-wheels....

I've got the complete opposite opinion. I've never had any noise issues with mine, cant even hear it. And as for cleaning, IMO it is MUCH MUCH easier to clean. The cartridges are much harder, IMO, to clean than the sponges on the ac's. Of course, people have different ways of doing things. I guess where im used to cleaning my canisters, the ac is just pretty much the same as a canister cleaning wise

I'll stick with my ACs...
Pop the media basket out, rinse media, rinse filter box, rinse impeller well, wipe the outflow, pop media back in and your done. Much easier, takes me +/- five minutes.
My canisters are more work/time intensive, they take +/- 8 minutes.

Once in awhile, a lid will work loose and vibrate, tap it and it fixed.

I hear some folks complain about splash noise from the outflow of HOBs.
Heck, we love it, let the water level drop a little, no need to spend good money on a indoor fountain (y)

Ya'll see my ACs with bio-wheels yet?

I think HOBs are great for a redneck fountain sound! Hahahah, maybe that's just my farm raised roots coming out though.

Yeah, my cartridge deal was kind of hard to pull out, but it was worth it because the great filtration. I let mine get so dirty that the cartridge started to pop up on it's own lol. That is the biggest problem that I ever had with it though.

Getting the media OUT of the AC is the part I don't like....

I think this is what makes the AquaClears better than the others. They have a large media basket which can be pulled out easily. I don't see how it could get any simpler.

BTW, I have a AquaTech 5-15 running on my 10g. It has been running since I started (3-4 years ago) and have never had a problem. My only gripe is sometimes it loses its prime when the power flickers and must be restarted manually. My AquaClears never do that.

Never had an AT, but what I have right now are 2 Top Fins, a Rena canister, and a built in Aqueon mini-bow. I don't like the Aqueon, and I had an Aqueon 30 hob on my 29, but I didn't like that either because it was a little noisy and sticks out tank side further than other filters do.

Back
Top Bottom