Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-17-2007, 07:15 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Ky'smommy Send a message via MSN to Ky'smommy Send a message via Yahoo to Ky'smommy
its gone now. hopefully for good.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:43 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That looks like the same something I got on the surface of my water when I was fishless cycling via the shrimp method. I thought it was just slimey crud from the decomposing shrimp carcase but I don't know how something like that would form in an established tank.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:12 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to zenkatydid Send a message via AIM to zenkatydid Send a message via MSN to zenkatydid
it seems to have the same texture as BGA, which is a microorganism. so i'm seconding the 'something that grew to feast on DOCs on the surface'. if you don't have co2 injection, i would increase surface agitation to make sure it doesn't happen again.
zenkatydid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:41 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Probably a buildup of organic material, with some bacteria growing on it. I usually get a scum in my tank after I give the plants a good trim, as the cut ends "leak" a lot of stuff. It's harmless, but unsightly, and surface agitation or carbon in your filter will remove it.

BTW it's kind of the FW version of the same stuff that protein skimmers remove from reef tanks, and the foam that you see at the beach sometimes (which is nature's protein skimmer). Except in FW it doesn't really cause any problems and doesn't need to be removed like it does in a reef tank.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com