Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-29-2006, 03:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

XP2 QUESTION

Anybody ever have there xp filter lose flow? Does it have something to do with the o-ring?

Old 12-29-2006, 03:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

O-Rings are just seals. Unless you're seeing water leak out somewhere, I don't an o-ring is the problem. Is the filter sitting level? Are you seeing any air in the outlet of the filter?

theotheragentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 09:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
The only time I ever had my XP's lose flow is when the filter is plugged. If you have a lot of gunk in the tank, or overfeeding, the micropad will get clogged pretty quick. Also, gunk can get built up in the impeller shaft area, slowing or stopping the impeller, but that doesn't hapen much, unless you aren't cleaning the impeller with your maintenance. It's easy to clean, just unscrew the cover under the bottom side of the XP cover and remove the impeller, and clean off the impeller as well as the hole where the impeller goes. Any small brush will work for doing this.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:34 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I clean every part I can think of once a month. Brush out all entrances and exits, the impeller and impeller housing. Whole filter is maybe 6 months old, can the micropad clog to that degree this soon? Even tho I clean it? The cover, or the slots the impeller housing fit into were broken on delivery but the flow has been fine up to this point with cover half on. Have never been able to rig a fix for that. I don't know, I thought I read something about this on the manufacturer website. If you all have any other ideas please let me know...
Old 12-30-2006, 02:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

You realy cant clean the micropad, if its really 6 months old that is likely your problem. I use filter floss, its basically polyester pillow stuffing. You can get it from most LFS, hobby stores, and old pillows occasionally.

Just put some of that in your top basket and change when you clean the filter monthly. It is a lot cheeper and more effective then the ones Rena sells.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com