xp3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbk.o4

Aquarium Advice Freak
so i got an xp3 for my new 55g (which i just put on a half hour ago) and i had gotten some mixed reviews about it..ie it was TOO loud and things like that

IMO the thing is silent, i have to put my head right next to it to hear a sound at all, it still has some bubbles in the canister but those will work out. the only thing i didnt like (other than trying to get that friggin tubing on the pipes lol) was the color of the intake pipe..seems like it could have been made black too..but i understand why they did it like that (color coding to make it easier for more consumers to set up)

all in all if u need a good cheaper canister filter hit up bigals and get the xp3 for $98

also a question about the filter baskets (no this wasnt just a review on the xp3 lol) what all do you guys use in the baskets it has the black foam in the bottom basket packed in tight, in the middle basket there is nothing and then in the top basket there is 1 piece of white foam. i didnt use the carbon pouch that came with it since im going to be doing a planted tank.

but what all setups do you guys have for filtration media?

TIA

Here's how mine is set up:

Bottom basket - 2 Coarse sponges, 2 medium sponges
Middle basket - Bottom half is lava granules, upper half is bio-stars
Upper basket - Lower half is ceramic rings, upper half has 2 of the fine filter pads and some floss in between.

Mine goes like this,

Bottom- the foam pads that come with the filter
Middle- Ceramic rings and Bio-stars
Top- lots of filter floss for microfiltration.

mine goes

bottom- foam that comes with
middle- ceramic rings
upper-carbon and fine filter

I jught bought an xp3 and waiting to arrive in 2 days, big als said it comes with all the media but I'm seeing no one has it with what it comes, will I need to go and purchase media to start the tank running?

The older xp's did come with all the media, including the ceramic rings. But no longer.

Expect to pay $20 for a box of ceramic rings or bio stars...but keep in mind, they'll last forever.
I never replace mine...just clean them every few months.

I would use Boyd Chemi-pure before carbon, longer life and better overall.

The goldfish seem to enjoy it, although they don't seem to picky...

do i need to buy bags to hold the media or it goes streight into the canister?

kaz said:
do i need to buy bags to hold the media or it goes streight into the canister?

I would buy bags. A good trick to use kaz, is if you decide you want some carbon... just buy some carbon... and a bag, and use it only after you use meds for a couple weeks. That way it is CHEAP to refill the bag ;)

Boyd Chemi-pure comes is in it's own bag. Don't rinse it in tap water it's ready to go in the tank right out of the container.

It is overkill unless you know of weird metals or minerals existing in your tap water. It does absorb organic stuff to a degree. I really don't trust my tap water...so I throw one in the canister basket. Due for a new one actually, they last anywhere from 1-6 months.

I say base it on bioload...like if you have messy fish then change it more often. There is no set way. Plants absorb alot of stuff as well so I would even go as far to say that having a bag Chemi-pure with plants would be a bad thing. I only use it with my goldfish...they eat anything in the tank including the plants.

Back
Top Bottom