XP3 intake too strong for fish - Solution!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm going to Michael's today to git summa that stuff! I hate rinsing out the foam covers on my intakes....though I like being able to feed microworms and not shut the filters off, and the loaches like sucking them out of the foam...hmmm.....

A very tidy, professional-looking job on that DIY. You should make 'em and sell 'em (seriously) for lazy, lazy people like me.

Sparky...GOOD ONE! *Evil grin*

Ketso...LOVE that idea. If anyone could do it, I am betting you and Neilanh could!

Looks good Neilanh. I may try that myself as I keep getting crud sucked up on my intake.

I have never had a problem with an XP3 sucking up fish. I agree with justrelax, I don't think the suction was the problem. Rummynose tetras have a bad rep for being sensitive when they are new in a tank. I have 6 and have bought probably 8 others that didn't make it. I've found fish alive stuck to the intake of the XP3 on my Malawi tank, but those 2 fish were beat up and weak.

I have a sponge over the intake of the XP3 on my 55g planted, but its so it won't suck up alot of plant matter. I've never had a problem with the suction...and some of my tetras are still kind of small (couple Rummies are about 1.5" and the flame tetras range between 1.5" and 2").

Good job on the DIY intake protector thingy. It looks really cool. ;)

I now have 2 XP3's and 3 XP2's (makes sense, right?), and have never had a problem with it sucking up a fish that wasn't already sick. A lot of times fish don't necessarily look sick, but they have very little consitution and are barely staying upright. Then, when you find them stuck to the filter, you turn it off and pull them away and they appear to be "irreperably hurt" by the nasty filter. I would contend that healthy fish are able to say away.

Back
Top Bottom