Yay Amano Shrimp :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Revenantwing

Aquarium Advice Freak
So luckily my betta isnt flaring but ive heard that armano shrimp can get pretty big. Can there be any problems? i picked the bigger shrimp and they are about 2 inches. Almost as big as the betta. I also have an apple snail in there. Armano shrimp peaceful?

It's actually amano shrimp. They stay small, an inch or so, and are great algea eaters, very peaceful.

yea i spelled it wrong. Really an inch? mine looks like its 2 or 2 1/4 inches

Yeah, I would have to agree... Amanos can get pretty large in comparison to the other common FW shrimp species.

Oh wow. I don't care for them myself, I like more colorful shrimp, so I don't have them. But I've read max 1.25". Sorry :rolleyes:

But over 2"? Really? Sounds like ghost shrimp to me...can amano really get that big?

They are not very colorful, but they are wonderful algae eaters, and great for cleaning up plants.

This is a terrible vid of 1 of my old tanks...go forward to 1:19 and check out the amano...

Much bigger. I would say fully grown, 4X as big. There are a lot of ghost shrimp swimming around in the video too... some are visible a few secs before the big amano, so you can get a size comparison.

i just introduced them to my tank and they are pretty much hanging out on one spot but occasionally the will move

What do your water parameters look like? Lethargic FW shrimp is usually a sign of poor water quality.

That is not to say they will not occasionally stay in 1 spot... especially if feeding.

I would say your tank is not cycled... if there continues to be ammonia readings, it may kill a few or all of your amano shrimp. FW Shrimp + Ammonia = bad news

Back
Top Bottom