YAY! Another New (to me) Tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
live and learn right? its all good! I sat my son down after googling images of all the fish we've been discussing. I told him all the options ex. what will live with what, how many need to live together etc.. Out of 20 options and after looking at various you tube videos (he wanted to see how they swim) He's picked kuhli loaches, pencil fish, neons and still undecided about apistos or killifish.. I told him and please feel free to correct me..
He could do
4 kuhli loaches
4 pencil fish
4 neons
2 apistos or
4 killifish
I was wondering though, since killifish stay very small and their bio load is small as well would it be possible to do a pair (or a single) apisto as well as the killifish?
Or do you think it would be maxing out this tank?

Depending on the tank size I'd up the schools of neons and pencils to 6 each. My son loved his "snakes" khulis haha we see mine quite often if you lots of cover and shaded areas they will move around more and the more of them the more comfortable they are.

Lol sorry how big is this tank?

It's a 20 gal. This will be the smallest tank we've had so I'm struggling with the options for it. I have 4 other tanks up and running so if there happens to be an unexpected event with the stocking we have plenty of options for rehoming here in our own home.

I would say 1 apisto and 4 killifish would work. I would go with Pygmy cory cats instead of kuhlis, they tend to hide a lot and you never see them.

I originally had suggested cories to my son as well however we have them in another tank here at home so he is determined not to have them in this one lol

Depending on the tank size I'd up the schools of neons and pencils to 6 each. My son loved his "snakes" khulis haha we see mine quite often if you lots of cover and shaded areas they will move around more and the more of them the more comfortable they are.

The kuhlis were the first fish he said he wanted for sure! He calls them snakes too..lol We're limited on the size of the schools until we see how the stocking list pans out. The tank in question is only a 20 gal. However I've been looking online (used) again for a larger tank in case he can't fit what he wants in this one.
Then maybe "mommy" will get the crayfish shes always wanted *winks*

When I got my 55 it looked like this or worse, but then again it had also been sitting in an outside building for 6+ months. But what I did, was I took it outside, filled it up (had to do a water test to be sure there were no leaks anyway) dumped a about half a bottle of Clorox in it and I let it sit for a couple days. Then I I drained it back out (which took for ever because all I have is a little gravel vac) and as it drained I scrubbed it clean (i wore gloves since I used so much bleach) but after letting it sit for a couple days honestly made it easy, there wasn't much scrubbing to do at all, it came clean very easily. If you go the route be sure you rinse it VERY VERY well.

When I got my 55 it looked like this or worse, but then again it had also been sitting in an outside building for 6+ months. But what I did, was I took it outside, filled it up (had to do a water test to be sure there were no leaks anyway) dumped a about half a bottle of Clorox in it and I let it sit for a couple days. Then I I drained it back out (which took for ever because all I have is a little gravel vac) and as it drained I scrubbed it clean (i wore gloves since I used so much bleach) but after letting it sit for a couple days honestly made it easy, there wasn't much scrubbing to do at all, it came clean very easily. If you go the route be sure you rinse it VERY VERY well.

I still haven't tackled it. I'm procrastinating lol! We still have snow on the ground here. So I'm thinking this one is going in the tub for a baking soda bath. ;-) Its already had plenty of bleach in it. Gramma dumped a whole container in it and left it in there for at least two of the months she had it. I'll probably get to it this weekend my son has been harassing me nightly to get it done. He's a little excited ;-)

On the kuhlis, depending on your color sand, my favorite are the banded kuhlis, just be extra cautious there are no tiny water holes on any preformed plastic /resin/ plaster type decorations you might choose, as the little guys can get in there and sometimes can't get out. Or can grow too big.

And also with the water changes or scape changes they're good at being sneaky hiders and can hitchhike out of the tank on driftwood and rocks. Mostly I have had this with the decorations. I had one driftwood looking deco with a large hole in the bottom. My black (really dark brown) kuhli was in it every time I cleaned the tank. He was pretty on the white sand too!

Now I have several of the banded kuhlis now, and I think they come out and play a lot. More than my black ones did.

I sewed some Subwassertang to a 6" round needlepoint plastic stitch form, and put it on the floor of the tank with sand around the edges to cover the plastic and help hold it down, and they love snaking around in it. It is next to where I feed the shrimp and food gets in there so I think they like the challenge of the search for morsels.

And if you can get rocks with holes, it is fun to watch them poke in and out of it! Really funny. I had a hole in a rock I didn't realize was there, and just as his tail would disappear his head would pop out the other side. The hole was shaped like a U, so comical!

On the kuhlis, depending on your color sand, my favorite are the banded kuhlis, just be extra cautious there are no tiny water holes on any preformed plastic /resin/ plaster type decorations you might choose, as the little guys can get in there and sometimes can't get out. Or can grow too big.

And also with the water changes or scape changes they're good at being sneaky hiders and can hitchhike out of the tank on driftwood and rocks. Mostly I have had this with the decorations. I had one driftwood looking deco with a large hole in the bottom. My black (really dark brown) kuhli was in it every time I cleaned the tank. He was pretty on the white sand too!

Now I have several of the banded kuhlis now, and I think they come out and play a lot. More than my black ones did.

I sewed some Subwassertang to a 6" round needlepoint plastic stitch form, and put it on the floor of the tank with sand around the edges to cover the plastic and help hold it down, and they love snaking around in it. It is next to where I feed the shrimp and food gets in there so I think they like the challenge of the search for morsels.

And if you can get rocks with holes, it is fun to watch them poke in and out of it! Really funny. I had a hole in a rock I didn't realize was there, and just as his tail would disappear his head would pop out the other side. The hole was shaped like a U, so comical![/QUOTE

Very good to know thank you! I have never kept kuhlis before but have always admired them. So when my son picked them I have to admit I was pretty excited. The only choice hes made that frightens me are the killifish..Here they'll run you $30 a fish! That's a pretty big expense if he decides not to care for them properly. I guess I'll have to keep a close eye to make sure he does what he's supposed to.

Very good to know thank you! I have never kept kuhlis before but have always admired them. So when my son picked them I have to admit I was pretty excited. The only choice hes made that frightens me are the killifish..Here they'll run you $30 a fish! That's a pretty big expense if he decides not to care for them properly. I guess I'll have to keep a close eye to make sure he does what he's supposed to.[/QUOTE]

Guess it will be time for some serious fish tank and/ or household chores for earning that fish. Are all the kinds of Killis that much? I would post on here to see if anyone up around where you are has any. They are very reasonable here, but perhaps different varieties cost more. I was admiring one the other evening at the Pet store.

The lowest price I have seen around my area for killifish is 29$ however if you go online you could purchase 100 eggs for I think it was 10$. My problem is the shipping. Not only the cost but finding someone willing to ship here. We went on a bit of a spending spree and got the 33gal today. Amoung other things. Lol!

The lowest price I have seen around my area for killifish is 29$ however if you go online you could purchase 100 eggs for I think it was 10$. My problem is the shipping. Not only the cost but finding someone willing to ship here. We went on a bit of a spending spree and got the 33gal today. Amoung other things. Lol!

Have you checked aquabid.com? I haven't bought fish from there, but I have bought plants.

Back
Top Bottom