yay, got a male and female betta fish (with pics!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nah, i have the dwarf lilly bubs in my 55 gallon, but i was thinking maybe some bamboo???
and if i got the peac lilly, i would just hve the roots in the water.. not the whole plant.. i would put a tray or somthing on top.

Bamboo is only supposed to be submersed about an inch. If you can somehow rig that up, that would be cool.

oh, ive seen it submersed more.. LOL.. will it rot under the water? If i could rig it i think it would look neat

I bought some recently and that's what it says on the card. It doesn't explain why, just that it shouldn't be submersed except for the very bottom about an inch.

i hope.. now i just gotta find somewhere to buy bamboo.. LOL

off the discussion but the answer to your question ashleynicole is if you havent noticed the strips on the female betta come and go and sometimes can change from horizontal to vertical

Horizontal=stressed for whatever reason (but probably in the picture because she was new to the tank)

Vertical=ready to breed, or just very happy

my females strips go back and forth of however she feels

for the male betta, i would totally go with a tiny filter, maybe an Azoo Palm Filter or an Elite Mini like i have, check out my gallery with the new tank for my betta

use live plants, it will help with the low maintenance and as they "say" fewer water changes, but i would do about 2-3 a week w/o a filter and about 1-2 a week with a filter and plants

good luck!!! :D :D :D :D

yes, i found out about the stripes.. i looked it up. Won't a filter create surface agitation though? I didn't think they would make a bubble nest if there was surface agitation. I really want to see him build a nest!

so if i decide on a planted tank, even with just java fern i will have to get lighting and i can't find a hood to fit it! It's a 5 gallon.. (it was given to me) Maybe i will shell out the cash for a new set up. .its only like $30 for everything.

ok, so the 5 gallon i had, i didn't reallize how scratched up it was.. so i just trashed it and i put the male and female in my community aquarium.. he actually started building a bubble nest in the back!!!! i mean literally within hours of being in my 55 gallon tank.

yes, i found that out, but she's not showing any stripes anymore. I got her at a LFS they had a whole tank of female betta's.

bettaboy said:
Very nice looking bettas. Im glad to see you keep them in 5 gallon tank and not a little bowl.

they are in my 55 gallon community now.

Did you ever consider buying "show" bettas?. Bettas from the LFS are usually veiltail, show bettas are Crowntails (CT), Halfmoon (HM), Doubletail (DT) and Plakat (PK).

i don't really care about taht, its for my own entertainment and i like my little red betta.

if things don't work out with the male in the community tank, you could always try putting a desk lamp over the 5g...that's what I have over my betta, and plants grow pretty well, I even grow them out in it. It's maybe a 15 watt light that isn't directly over it

yeah i got rid of that 5 gallon cuz it was old and scratched, he's happy in the community, i saw im swimming all over hte place, and flaring at the female, thenshe went and hid in my new java moss.. and he forgot all about her and continued his fruitless attempt at a bubble nest.. it keeps gettting blown away by the current, my current is even to strong to keep floating platns at the surface anyway.

Back
Top Bottom