Yay! Yoyos!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hholly

Aquarium Advice Addict
GOt me 2 Yoyo loaches. I tried to get 4 but the guy at LFS could only catch 2. I'm going back later this week to see if I can get 2 more. So far they are very active and curious. I just hope they don't turn out to be fin nippers. I can tell they are going to be fun to watch. :)

Thanks!

Does anyone know, since the 2 I have are very active and all over the tank, do I truly need to get more? These guys are not shy. My main concern is that they don't become fin nippers. Will adding a few more be more likely to prevent that? I do have a new tank that I will be starting up in case it turns out bad. I just don't know what makes them more likely to be nippers. Age? Numbers? Crowded conditions?
Thanks!

Cool little dudes! I would've gotten Yoyo Loaches if I hadn't seen what they can do to a planted tank. I saw a video on Youtube where somebody's Yoyos completely messed up this guy's aquascape. There were plants uprooted, substrate pushed all over, etc. Hopefully he just had some over zealous Yoyos.

I inherited 2 yoyos when I bought my 33g. Very fun fish and not nippy at all. They just swim together and chase each other all around the tank. I've read that at least 3 is the magic number, but I think I will stick to 2 tbh.

Yes get more. Not only for their own health, but their true behaviour shows in larger groups. I started with 3 and thought they were fun to watch, got 3 more and thought they were freakin awesome.
Having any yoyos, especially in smaller groups, limits your tankmates as they are notorious fin nippers.

Mine were fine with everything, all the time, until I forgot a feeding one night.
Next morning, those poor guppies... All survived and stayed healthy, just some had NO tail fin, others actually looked cool in the shapes they were shredded to.. Eventually healed, but just a heads up

Wow, good to know. Yeah, I've heard a lot of mixed info on their nippiness. I'm wondering if there is a certain number to have to keep it to a minimum.

Back
Top Bottom