Yeast in the water -- Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sly_Fra

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys,

I neglected to use an intermediate bottle in my DYI CO2 infuser (now I do have one!), and some yeast mixture went into the aquarium (directly in my filter intake).

This has been around 10 days ago. Water looked, and still looks like somebody dropped a few glasses of milk in it.

Fish are fine, plants happy as ever (lots of little oxygen bubbles). I've made 20-25% partial water changes every 2 days since, with no improvements so far. 4 days ago I added Purigen in the Eheim filter in hopes to clear it, but to no down that path either.

I guess the bacteria are just in over-population just chewing on the yeast and therefore whitening my water? (similar as what happens during the initial cycling)???

What do I do?:confused: Continue aggressive water change? Leave it as is and equilibrium should come back? Help with "bottled bacteria" such as Cycle? Use Water Clearing products? Depress?:confused::confused:

FYI, my tank is 33gal, pH 6.8, hardness below 10, no nitrates-nitrites-ammonia, Themp 77 Degrees, a few Honey Gourami couples, Cardinal Neons and yamato shrimps. No overpopulation, no over feeding. 110Watt of light, 10.5 hours a day, provided by 4 fluorescents.

Thanks

I guess the bacteria are just in over-population just chewing on the yeast and therefore whitening my water? (similar as what happens during the initial cycling)???
right on.... i would do a few large water changes until it clears up if it was me.

Na it won't change them as much as you would think. And if you're afraid of losing your beneficial bacteria, you won't. There isn't that much in the water anyway. Those water changes won't hurt your fishies a bit.

OK. Unfortunatly I'm away friday-saturday, but I'll do a major one tonight, them msunday-monday, and see how things evolve.

Thanks guys. If anyone has extra advices/experience on such a case, I'm all ears!

keep the co2 bottle above the water line or a check valve to keep the tank water out of it so it wont fill and get into the tank. if it does happen again just do a large water change. 80-95%....

personally i would be doing 75-95% wc daily until it cleans up.

I would have NEVER dared to do that much wc at once! And the gouramis will survive?

I do have a check valve, now... wont happen again. Changed about 75 today, so obviously the water is 75% clearer... Leaving tomorrow for 2 days, let's see how it is sunday. Keep you posted!

yep. i have changed water where the fish are about flopping then fill it back up.

I would have NEVER dared to do that much wc at once! And the gouramis will survive?

As long as the water parameters are identical (temp, hardness, pH, etc), large water change won't hurt the fishies at all. I have done 100% changes on occasion without ill effects. To be extra safe, when doing big pwc, put the new water in slowly, so the fish can adjust to any minor differences in the water.

Well, did around 75% last evening at 5PM, then around 85-90% this AM (leaving just enough for the Honey Gourami to smin in their normal orientation).

Of course looks nice now, but bacteria could over-rule again...

Leaving for 2 days, and even if it is still clear sunday PM, will do a few extras PWC just to be sure to remove whatever could be left.

Bacck last night. Water almost clear, but foggying slowly. Will do Major PWC tonight.

On of the female Gouramis is not feeling good though. Leaning on the ground at 45 Degrees, she seems to have a lump on both sides, near the rear of the body. DOn't know if it is the 12 days of yeat, the Water changes, or j ust something else...

Sorry a fish had to pay for my mistake of letting yeast in the tank.

Thanks. I'll try the pea tonight (if still alive), yet the lump is further back than where the belly should be, and in at the spine level, not below it. I will isolate her, try the pea, maybe a drop of methilen blue as well...? I do have Tetra AntiBacterian food flakes. Could try this if all else fails.

Hi all,

status after 2 weeks...

I've made 4 consecutive (in 6 days total) 90+% water changes. Probably more like 95-98% of water change (without counting the water in the gravel of course). SInce this tap water has different parameters as my tank (pH 7.2 tank, 7.8 tap, harder from tap, etc.) this stress probably was what caused a couple of honey gouramis to RIP.

Now of course after these massive water changes, water was cristal clear. Only to re-fog a few days later. I guess that the homeopathic amount of yeast left just re-started reproducing.

So then I tried Nutrafin Clear Fast. Wow that really worked wonders, cleared it up totally. Only to have it re-fogged again.

Yesterday I added Indian Almond Leafs to stabilize the water and de-stress the fish a bit.

I'm running out of patience and ideas... If I just leave it as is, will the bacterias eventually take over and eat all the yeast? Do I need to totally drain the tank, clean everything, etc (which will mean eventual re-cycling, and what do I do with the fish in the mean time...?)

I really need some help here. :morning:

Back
Top Bottom