Yellow fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mazdaman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so I showed the fish selection to my "better" half and she liked them all. What??!! she liked fish.... ...anyways, she said it would look so much better if there was a solid bright yellow fish in there, I've racked my brain on this and came up empty. (open for empty brain jokes) Anyone have any suggestions for a yellow fish. thanks

well I'm not even close to being stocked yet. So far its rainbowfish. There will also be 3 red-lined torpedo barbs, a bunch of cories and most likely a school or harlequins...

First thing I thought of are Gold Barbs (Barbus sachsi). They are not exactly solid yellow, but the body is solid yellow with various patterns of black spots. Some typical pics here and here.

For something a little more exotic, more difficult to find, and (perhaps?) more difficult to keep, you could consider Golden Wonder Killifish (Aplocheilus lineatus). Males are a stunning iridescent yellow to yellowish-green, good picture of it here and perhaps even a better one here. Females I have seen are similar in color but the color is much more pale and subtle, not nearly so bright. There are other species of killies that have yellow as their "main" body color but any of the others would be even harder to find, and perhaps harder to care for, than the Golden Wonders.

I have also seen some species of rainbowfish that is basically a solid yellow or golden color, but can't for the life of me remember the name of it.

hey thanks jp, the picutures were realy good. I actually thought about the gold barbs as I just remembered seeing them at a lfs. The killies are sweet but I haven't seen too many of any kind around the lfs here. Do you know if they are mid or top dwellers?

the Golden Wonder Killifish (Aplocheilus lineatus). are a top dweller. Try calling up the nearest petsmart. The one I work at stocks them, and all petsmarts share the same order sheets. or at least in all the stores in kansas do. Other yellow fish would include rummy nose tetras, golden dwarf cichlid (Nannacara anomala), madagascar rainbowfish,Boesman's rainbowfish, some guppys are yellow, and I think that there are a few more tetras that are yellow. possibly congo tetras. HTH

I second the part about checking at Petsmart...the only lfs I have seen them in is one Petsmart near me, but they only get a few and tend to last just a few days and then they are gone. If you have a Petsmart and can get friendly with the fish manager, they might be able to special order some for you if they don't currently have any in stock.

whitetiger gave a lot of good ideas; I have actually seen some all-yellow guppies (well really white fading into yellow) that are quite amazing. And one of the most obvious fish of all is the Lemon Tetra, though many lfs' don't carry those because they tend not to ship well.

Do you by chance have an aquarium/tropical fish society anywhere near you? If so, definitely make contact there...I am sure you could get a lot of these fish from other members, pay far far less than store prices, and the fish are likely to be 500% healthier than fish you find in lfs' as well.

The other option for the Golden Wonders or other killies is to order the eggs by mail (listings through the AKA are usually around $8 plus shipping costs). Now granted, you need to be able to have a set-up to hatch out the eggs and keep the fry alive until they can grow some...(i.e. a few small containers, the ability to grow your own "fry food" like baby brine shrimp or microworms, etc.)...but if you can do that successfully, you might end up with upwards of 50 (or more) Golden Wonders for around $15, or the price you would pay for 2 or 3 of them if you buy them at Petsmart.

omg. my girlfried had exactly the same reaction when she started her 29. she wanted a solid yellow fish. I told her there's really only one I can think of that's really solid yellow, and that's the yellow lab, a cichlid, inappropriate for community tanks. that bummed her out. so, she's gone crazy on red instead! :roll:

i was thinking a yellow lab

but if someone said it im too bored to read all the posts

Back
Top Bottom