Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-04-2018, 10:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

yellow lab

ok so ive noticed my yellow lab doing this recently ive just found out its because its stressed (ill sort something out) however ive always thought its a female but its starting to get black fins at front like my male so is this a female or young male? ive had the fish for about 4 months nearly but its just starting to go this colour sorry its not a good pic Click image for larger version

Name:	20180104_140357.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	305950

Old 01-06-2018, 08:40 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Can't help but hope someone can.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:25 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Regarding Yellow Labs, black outlines on the fins don't necessarily define sex, although males usually will have more intense coloration. As for your pictured YL, his vertical posture, positioned in the corner of the tank is not good. You indicated that another YL, possibly male, is also in the tank. You likely have a bullying situation that will probably result in illness or death to the weaker fish.
Don't believe all the hype about Yellow Labs being a kinder, more docile African. I had one in a mixed cichlid tank, which dominated much larger aggressive fish.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

she is out and fairly relaxed by the looks of it now the male does chase her but has done for months ..i think he been trying to mate with her but she might not have been ready ...the other day they were doing what looked like the "mating ritual" and now she looks a little bit bigger in the bit under her mouth so just gotta wait and see ...he has been making holes in the gravel and shimmering at her for ages but he still doing it after the "mating ritual" so she might not lol he only chases her a few seconds at a time
Old 01-08-2018, 09:58 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't know much about these but looks like it's being nipped on the back fin. So, I would diffently say it's stressed out and getting worse if this is something new, probably the only place in the tank the other fish can't get it at. Just my thought. I'd watch alittle longer than what you are and see what's going on. Maybe try a divider and separate them. Just to see if there's any change.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:23 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angellove78 View Post
I don't know much about these but looks like it's being nipped on the back fin. So, I would diffently say it's stressed out and getting worse if this is something new, probably the only place in the tank the other fish can't get it at. Just my thought. I'd watch alittle longer than what you are and see what's going on. Maybe try a divider and separate them. Just to see if there's any change.
the nipped tail was from the "mating ritual" hasnt got any worse and was always fine before that ...but she out a bit more now in the open of the tank and they have been side by side and no fighting/chasing ...also we had just changed the layout a day or 2 before i took that pic so could have been something to do with that but as i say she seems fine now
Old 01-08-2018, 04:29 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

You need to add some rock work to that aquarium, as in piles with caves so the less aggressive fish has somewhere to go and hide when the more aggressive fish starts acting more aggressive. Your rearrangement of the tank likely required a reestablishment of territories and if you changed up water parameters, may have slowed the reproductive activity temporarily, but rest assured the aggression will return and if you don't provide adequate hiding places you will end up losing a fish. Also only two yellow labs is not a good ratio, you need multiple females for every male so the aggression is spread out amongst the females instead of concentrated on only one individual.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Adding rock work and having more than two are good suggestions.
You didnít say what size tank or what are other occupants.

Tags
yellow, yellow lab

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com