yellow lab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishkeeper90

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok so ive noticed my yellow lab doing this recently ive just found out its because its stressed (ill sort something out) however ive always thought its a female but its starting to get black fins at front like my male so is this a female or young male? ive had the fish for about 4 months nearly but its just starting to go this colour sorry its not a good pic 20180104_140357.jpg

Regarding Yellow Labs, black outlines on the fins don't necessarily define sex, although males usually will have more intense coloration. As for your pictured YL, his vertical posture, positioned in the corner of the tank is not good. You indicated that another YL, possibly male, is also in the tank. You likely have a bullying situation that will probably result in illness or death to the weaker fish.
Don't believe all the hype about Yellow Labs being a kinder, more docile African. I had one in a mixed cichlid tank, which dominated much larger aggressive fish.

she is out and fairly relaxed by the looks of it now the male does chase her but has done for months ..i think he been trying to mate with her but she might not have been ready ...the other day they were doing what looked like the "mating ritual" and now she looks a little bit bigger in the bit under her mouth so just gotta wait and see ...he has been making holes in the gravel and shimmering at her for ages but he still doing it after the "mating ritual" so she might not lol he only chases her a few seconds at a time

I don't know much about these but looks like it's being nipped on the back fin. So, I would diffently say it's stressed out and getting worse if this is something new, probably the only place in the tank the other fish can't get it at. Just my thought. I'd watch alittle longer than what you are and see what's going on. Maybe try a divider and separate them. Just to see if there's any change.

I don't know much about these but looks like it's being nipped on the back fin. So, I would diffently say it's stressed out and getting worse if this is something new, probably the only place in the tank the other fish can't get it at. Just my thought. I'd watch alittle longer than what you are and see what's going on. Maybe try a divider and separate them. Just to see if there's any change.
the nipped tail was from the "mating ritual" hasnt got any worse and was always fine before that ...but she out a bit more now in the open of the tank and they have been side by side and no fighting/chasing ...also we had just changed the layout a day or 2 before i took that pic so could have been something to do with that but as i say she seems fine now

You need to add some rock work to that aquarium, as in piles with caves so the less aggressive fish has somewhere to go and hide when the more aggressive fish starts acting more aggressive. Your rearrangement of the tank likely required a reestablishment of territories and if you changed up water parameters, may have slowed the reproductive activity temporarily, but rest assured the aggression will return and if you don't provide adequate hiding places you will end up losing a fish. Also only two yellow labs is not a good ratio, you need multiple females for every male so the aggression is spread out amongst the females instead of concentrated on only one individual.

Adding rock work and having more than two are good suggestions.
You didn’t say what size tank or what are other occupants.

Back
Top Bottom