Yellow Water - No Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ausdonut

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi
I recently purchased a fish tank, I have set up the live plants, filter heater etc. Everything was fine until yesterday, when I came home the water was tinted yellow. I was wondering how I can fix this problem

Thanks
AusDonut 8O

hi ausdout, did you add any bogwood , this can leach tannins into the water and cause it to look yellow. will cause no harm tho . jackie

Drift Wood

Hi
Yeah I have two peices of Driftwood(bogwood) in the tank. So is there anyway to make it fade? Chemicals or just replacing water...

Thanks for our Help
AusDonut 8O

Carbon in your filter will remove it, but the carbon must be replaced regularly, prolly once a week. Water changes will do it also, but it will take time. One thing to remember, the yellow tint is completely harmless to fish, wont hurt anything. It's all a matter of your preference.

as corvuscorax said its a matter of preference, you could remove from the tank and soak it and keep replacing the water but it takes ages and ages.i have had my tank running about 5 weeks now and its still has a yellow tint to the water. i have 2 bits of bogwood in mine ,but i dont mind the colour ,it does no harm and will sort itself out eventually.. jackie :)

I too have a piece of driftwood in my tank of which I soaked in fresh water each day for 5 days before adding it to the tank. I have had the tank running for 5 weeks now and the water is tinted but I don't mind, especially since I read that my cardinal tetras actually love tannin in the water :p
Louise

Back
Top Bottom