Yes ANOTHER 10 gal setup..... I swear this one is different!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spittinfly

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, I always thought, "How come they can't just read all the other New 10 gal posts?" Well now I know. I think my q's are new and a little off, so please indulge me.

I would like to set up my 10 gal as a grow out tank. I have mollies and platies and would like to keep the fry alive to trade/sell. So I will set up my tank for this purpose. But when I have no fry or don't need any to sell I would like to keep fish in it.

What kind of fish could I keep in the 10 during those down times that I could pull and put in my community 35 hex when I have fry?

I would like more different fish like some cichlids but I don't want any conflicts. I was thinking some GBR's or Apistogrammas or Yellow Labs. If I am way off let me know.

Are there fish I could keep in the tank while I have fry in there? Like Plecos or some other sucker fish?

Thank you again for answering and guiding yet another "NEW 10 GAL SETUP!!!" post.

Well I am not going to take a male and female out of my tank and into this one in order to breed them, but I will either move a pregnant fish to this tank to ensure more babies survive or just fish out the babies from my 35 into this tank to grow them to survivable size.

So if that is what a breeder tank is than yes that is what I want but during down time use it as a regular tank.

How about a bristlenose? It would help keep the tank clean and the filter fed .

fry will be safe with bristlenose.

yeah, i wouldent even think about putting something like a GBRs or apistos in a tank if they will be moved around alot. It just causes too much stress which neither of them can take.

I like the idea of the bristlenose... you could even go with a couple kuhli loaches if you would like.

=Addition=

Mollies are livebearers so he wouldent have to worry about eggs at all.

I didn't know whether platies were live-bearing as well. Apparently they are so yes no need to worry about the eggs.

Stop me if I'm wrong but I reckon a couple of little thomasii dwarf cichlids (african butterfly, i think their common name is) would handle being moved around a bit...

YEAH!!!!!!

To recap so far: Bristlenose, Kuhli Loach for sure are ok to leave in the tank with the fry.

Would the White Clouds, Danios or Betta be ok with the fry?

I am not going to totally overload the tank just looking for options.

=============UPDATE====================

Well I am going home to start the new tank. My son picked out all the stuff today, blue gravel, blue plants and a pirate ship :clown: He is such a boy! So I will set it up and seed it tonight and get ready to add the baby Mollies.

I am so happy, tank #2 :invasion:

My betta ate every one of my lyretail swordtail babies before I could pull him out with the net. A Betta usually will do well in a community tank, even though they have sometimes gotten a bad rap, but most fish will consider fry as food. Your bottom feeders are the exception but I have raised hundreds and hundreds of mollies, swords, fancy guppies (livebearers) Fry sometimes like to hang close to the bottom of the tank and could be inadvertently eaten by otherwise peaceful bottom feeders. Kuhlis and black loaches should be fine - they are not going to chase the fry around.
I would put the pregnant female in the tank. Trying to catch the fry in your main tank is going to get old real fast! lol. Good luck - I think your son is going to have quite a bit of fun!

"mmm fry for dinner", is what a betta, tetras, a danio, any cichlid species, ect. would think. A fry tank should be a fry-only tank if you want them to grow out. No need to add more and more species to the jumble. That's a newbie symptom, like owning a hex tank.

Hey! Have you seen my tank listed in my signature. I kinda take offense, you take what you can get and be thankful. I happen to like my hex as it gives me alot of layers to fill. We come on here to ask advice and get help not talked down to.

I think part of what I enjoy most about this site is the diversity, the helpfulness and the willingness to answer any question-and I have seem some that I would have never even considered...lol. What a great place to come and share among people that are as excited as we are about this art-hobby-passion-obbession. <--call it what you will.
I think if we have to conform to 1 criteria to be considered legitimate then I would have to go elsewhere because that would be boring.
BTW, your tank is beautiful and I appreciate the chance to share my opinion as well as the opportunity to ask a question.

Back
Top Bottom