Yesterday I returned from a six week vacation . . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purplestarfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
. . . and thing were pretty much in shambles. My room was a mess (never leave for vacation with a dirty room, you won't want to enter it upon your return) and my tank wasn't in the best condition. I had my family members caring for it, so it got attention daily. My sister followed my instructions as best she could, but some things were undesirable. I had a full planted tank and came back to find two species completely eliminated and one in shabby condition. The remaining three were doing well; my cabomba in particular was thriving (some strands up to at least two feet long!). I'll be cutting and replanting that . . . in order to try to make the rest of the plants happy I'll be buying different lighting and trying out a fertilizer. One gourami was a pain in the butt in chasing all the other fish away from one side of the tank. My six tiger barbs were running my 7" long bala shark absolutely ragged. I plan on selling at least the gourami and the tiger barbs if not other fish as well. I've caught one tiger barb (they're beastly fast) and the gourami . . . but I'm not sure as to when I can go to the petstore. Algae was also coated on the glass and my log decoration; it's slimy and brown and is not hairy, so if anyone knows how to get rid of it for good, I'll be glad to know! I scrubbed it off the glass as best I could, but the decoration proved to be difficult. (I can't remove it from the tank without taking off the light and top; also, clown loaches, kuhli loaches, and a striped raphael catfish make their home in it.) My java fern had long, hairy, light brown algae growing on it which seems to be pretty securely seated; I didn't attempt ripping it off for fear of ripping the leaf. Any ideas? On top of that, one filter was not running and from the other only the barest trickle remained. I cleaned them absolutely thoroughly and they're now running steadily. In the meantime, it seems the only thing that was really really good about it all was that my water was perfectly clear. But still, it wasn't the happiest of occasions. I can't fault my family members, though, as they have lives too and aren't half as animal crazy as I am. In the meantime, I'll get to the point; does anyone have any suggestions about it all (the algae, how to better prepare the sibling for any vacation that may turn up, what to do about my insane fish, etc)? I was also curious if anyone knew if you can choose where to work in a petstore. I want to work at PetSmart, but I'd rather work with the fish than the birds or the reptiles or anything else, for that matter. If they make me work with the small animals, I could handle that easily (being an owner myself), but I'd feel much better if I knew I could select the fish department. At least with all this chaos, I'm a little closer to determining my career; I noticed (during my "vacation," I was really only taking an art class, but still during my break) that I was going for a lot of marine things . . . like I realized I wanted to set up a mini saltwater tank and that I'm dying to take SCUBA lessons (I know SixFootDaisy is certified; is anyone else? What is it like? Where can you find courses? How much are they and how long do they last?). I'd also love to get an internship at the Baltimore Aquarium next summer, regardless of whether or not they pay . . . hopefully they OFFER that much! But that's enough of my rambling. Thanks in advance for any answers to my multitude of questions.

Wow, how big is your tank? Just out of curiousity, because there seems to be so much going on inside of it. Or maybe that is just the brilliant way you wrote this. Unfortunately, i do not have any suggestions for the situation you're in right now. I have not yet left my fish for vacation, but I am going to Hawaii in two weeks, and my boyfriend will be taking care of them. I only have one tank w/ fish in it right now, and if anything happens to them, there are definitely going to be problems.

I mainly just wanted to respond about the Baltimore Aquarium. I live in DC, and i too have been wondering about a good place around here to further pursue this interest. I live right by the National Zoo, and I was thinking about possibly volunteering to work with the fish in their Amazon exhibit. Have you seen it? I love the Baltimore Aquarium, though.

Hopefully, I'm going to get a chance to SCUBA in shallow water in Hawaii. I don't think I'm going to have time to get my certificate, though. I will do a lot of snorkelling, and hopefully I will find some way to take pictures & post on here. Are there any underwater digital cameras? Anyway, good luck with everything, and keep us up to date on your tank!

Wow!! I LOVE and abosultely ADORE the Amazon exhibit. I dragged my ex-boyfriend to it once; he was unimpressed but I was drooling. We (my family) go to DC for Thanksgiving and stay at a hotel because the rates are so cheap. I dragged my mother there then, but thankfully, she liked it! Hawai'i is amazing . . . I went there once; my grandmother treated me, my sister, and my great-aunt. I didn't get to go to that really famous volcano reef because of Hurricane Daniel :( but even just swimming in Waikiki beach, you see swarms of fish, including boxfish and butterfly fish. I saw what was either Moorish Idols (probably not) or Bannerfish there, too; unfortunately, I was naive enough to think they were angelfish :oops: . Oh well, that was then, this is now! My tank is a 55 gallon; four feet long and right next to my bed *dreamy sigh*. I was sitting here mulling over and struggling with thoughts of what to do . . . I finally decided I'd sell or trade in a good portion of my fish for store credit and start (for the most part) afresh. I like my Tiger Barbs waaaaaaaaaay too much to get rid of them that quickly . . . I felt so guilty about thinking about disposing of them that I let out the one I had caught immediatly. Instead, I'm going to get rid of (man, that sounds so crude) my Bala, scissortail rasboras, harlequin rasboras, and rogue gourami. All but the last came with the tank; I got it off someone who was moving. I'd like to get Rams and upside-down cats to say the least, most likely more. I once saw freshwater flounder :!: in a place called House of Tropicals by Marley Station Mall, don't know if you (catalina) have been there, but it's awesome. I'd love to get a few of those . . . or maybe more than a few . . . but it'll be great. (House of Tropicals is also the place that will usually buy fish from ppl, but I wouldn't mind the store credit thing in the least; their selection is ENORMOUS!) And as for the algae, I was thinking about getting a rubber-lipped pleco, I love the armoured look of them. And if that doesn't solve it . . . well, I'll find a way. I feel so much better now that I've decided on this much! I feel sort of badly about writing the email; it was pretty much griping. :oops: But I'm so elated now that I don't really care and hope no one else does :wink: ! If I ever find those freshwater flounders (supposed to do even better in brackish water; grow to a diameter of 2-3" across) I'll definitely post it. Now the only real problem is seeing if my mother is okay with all my plans; she likes ALL my fish! :mrgreen: Ciao for now . . .

Scuba is awsome and you should do it. In North America the major schools are Naui, PADI, and ACUC. Any of them are fine as long as you are willing to pay attention. Generally it will take about a month with 2 nights a week. Some people offer accelerated courses over 2 weekends. Once again that is fine as long as you can keep up with it. Scuba classes aren't too pricey (in Canada about $300) but the gear is. Since gear will last a long time you want to buy the best you can afford. Otherwise just rent, though that adds up quickly. And don't buy used gear unless you have someone you trust that can really check it out. Look in the yellowpages for Scuba or diving. That will probably show who around teaches.

Suggestion about your tank: be careful not to get overzealous and clean too fast--you don't want to upset the water parameters too much and shock your fish.

Suggestion about scuba: My wife and I were recently in the Florida keys. We opted for a "resort course" because we probably won't go more than once every few years. There was two hours of classroom time and pool time to learn about the gear and get used to it, and then we went on two dives. It was my first time, and I had a blast. For less than $400, we got the instruction, boat ride, all equipment, and our instructor went on the dive with us. He was great, and definitely enhanced the experience by showing us a lot of stuff we would have overlooked.

Hopefully, I'm going to get a chance to SCUBA in shallow water in Hawaii. I don't think I'm going to have time to get my certificate, though. I will do a lot of snorkelling, and hopefully I will find some way to take pictures & post on here. Are there any underwater digital cameras?

I went to angelfire.com and put my pics on there. We used the disposable underwater cameras, and then I scanned the pics and cropped and resized them to 640 x 480. A trick on the annoying pop-ups of the site: just minimize the pop-up windows, don't close them, and they'll stay in the background. Here's the site, by the way :D :

http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/shawmutt

Whether you deicde to get certified or take the resort course, it is definitely not an experience to miss.

I'm going to sell or get store credit for most of the fish; the ones that came with the tank are generally unappealing. :| I'm hoping House of Tropicals will take them for either . . . sometimes they don't if they're getting a new shipment. (The unwanteds are in good condition . . . but I wouldn't have gotten them if it weren't for them coming with the tank.) I'm moving my tiger barbs to the ten gallon as soon as I spruce it up and cycle it. (Of course, I'll have to catch them before I can move them. . . :roll: ) Then, from there, I'm going to see about CO2 injections (if anyone knows anything about them, I'd be happy to listen) and get the other lighting for the tank. Then add many more plants, gradually. And then move on to the best part - fish! yay! :D I'll definitely tell you if I see the Rams, and although I don't remember if House of Tropicals have them, they might, with the extension of their selection. (they carry freshwater eels, two different kinds of arowanas, more cichlids than I knew existed, and sometimes rarities like the freshwater flounders. Although their selection changes frequently, some things remain constant, like the ever-popular cory cats and danios. Unfortunately they have no webpage, otherwise finding out things like whether or not they have rams would be easily solved. Oh well!) In the meantime, this looks like a long-term arrangement, but the final product will be well worth it.
Thanks a lot about all the SCUBA info! I'd be so interested in lessons . . . :mrgreen: . . . now for transportation and deciding on a place and whatnot. Looks like this will be longterm as well, but I don't mind one whit, as long as I get to do it! (My parents are constnatly encouraging new things they want me to stick with; for example, my mother just got me knitting needles after I learned how to knit and is now under the impression that I'll knit her a queen-sized bedspread. :lol: :!: RIGHT. One step at a time, mother dear!) I can't wait . . . about SCUBA, that is . . . I'll be going to the library for added information. Thanks a guppy!

Where is marley station mall? House of Tropicals sounds like a great store. I'll have to check it out if it's not TOO far away. Another good place is Congressional Aquarium in Rockville. I'm not sure if they have rams, shawmutt, but if you want to call them and find out, their number is (301) 881- 6182. I've only been there once, but i was thrilled with their selection.

Yea, isn't the amazonia exhibit great? I'm not too happy with the state the zoo is in right now, but it's worth going there and bypassing everything else just for that exhibit. Here's an interesting article about the fish in there that I found. I haven't returned since developing this fish passion, but i'm going to do that soon, since it will make it so much more interesting.
http://natzoo.si.edu/Publications/ZooGoer/1998/6/amazoniafishatnatzoo.cfm

Cool pictures, shaw! I will definitely have to do some SCUBA, even if i don't get certified. (I'm going to be really busy since lots of extended family is going to be there as well.) I've actually been to Hawaii twice before, once to Oahu when i was 4, and once to the Big Island a few years ago. This time, we're going to Maui. I'm so excited! My mom went to school at the University of Hawaii, and she feels like she belongs there, so whenever we get the funds for a big vacation, that is where we go. (Not a problem with me :D ) When we were on the big island, i saw tons of beautiful green sea turtles while snorkelling. They are endangered, but i saw them everywhere. It was so amazing, swimming with them while they glide through the water really makes you feel like you are flying.

Umm, I will look up House of Tropicals in just one moment. As for the zoo, I heard that they just got a huge grant to polish up their exhibits . . . like the bear one is in terrible, old-fashioned shape, but they're aiming to re-do it and the large animal house. At least that's what I read in the Post a ways back (I think!). But I'm really glad about all that; those exhibits were so shabby and dreary, esp. compared to Amazonia and the large cats and other flourishing exhibits. I'm really excited that they're renovating (providing my memory is correct!). And now, for the address for H o T . . . it's House of Tropicals
7389-F Baltimore-Annapolis 
  Blvd.
Glen Burnie, MD 21061
410-761-1113
At least that's what the internet says; no sign of them in the phonebook. HTH!

If you already have a digital camera you may want to see if there is a waterproof housing made for it. A lot of manufacturers have them for their more popular models.

Back
Top Bottom