yet another salt question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Megalofyia

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have an eel, tigar barbs, one snail of unknown origin, buenes aires tetras, and a blue crawfish. I think i spotted a baby ghost shrimp - it must have been from eggs from a mother that was eaten.. anyways he won't last long.
My question is can I add freshwater salt to the tank? I'm mostly concerned about the eel.

Yes, you can but dont over do it. In my freshwater, I put at least half the recommended dosage. Also, remember that it stays in your tank, so if you are refilling evaporated water, do not redose. Only when you do water changes you redose 0X

Basically to help the fish with osmosis balance, their slime coat etc. Also, I had read somewhere that it is good to have some salt in the water when the lobster molts- which he has.

Here is a very informative link about salt in FW aquariums: http://aquascienceresearch.com/APInfo/Salt.htm

It tends to recommend against using salt, basically stating that it is unecessary. This is an extremely tricky issue that is debated over and over, far and wide, and this is only one link of many. If you check out some livebearer websites they discuss it in great detail. Everyone has a strong opinion about it, and I see evidence that is good for it, and evidence that is good against it, so I am undecided!

Back
Top Bottom