Yo Yo loaches eat MTS snails and new tank pic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Hi Everyone,

So, my new tank is done!! Here is the pic. for everybody that gave great advice for the transfer.

A fellow member of AA was suppose to send me some MTS to move the sand around, however I bought two Yo Yo loaches today.

My LFS never has them and I wanted 2 so bad! Will they eat MTS?

If so, will I be ok to just move the sand around once a week when I do my PWC?

Thanks Again

i dont think the yoyos can, the mts shell is much to hard for them to crack open. idk that is what i want to remember right now, but i just got off work...so dont quote me on that info.

My tank had MTS and yoyos living happily for quite a while (almost a year). Not long ago, I wound up with nothing but empty shells turning up. My guess had been that the loaches had finally figured out how to eat them out of their shells. I never witnessed it, but then again I usually didn't see the snails either--only if I came down after lights out. As for the comment about not being able to crack the shell open, when I have seen them eat common snails, they never did break the shell--they would just pull the flesh out.
In any case, it is possible that something else led to my snails' collective demise, but I am guessing that the loaches will eventually eat them.

As for the yoyo's, they may eat the babies, but as for the larger MTS, they won't. They will help maintain the number of MTS so the tank doesn't get too over-run. But they won't get them all, and the MTS will slowly multiply still. I have them in my 55G with yoyo's, striped loaches, skunk loaches, and my dojo, and they seem to be doing quite well.

Thanks Lonewolf. That is the answer I wanted. I want the MTS because I have PFS, but I LOVE those Yo Yo's

Back
Top Bottom