Yo yo loachs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MICEY

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got 3 yo yo loachs from my lfs $4.00 each at 2 "
they should do great in my angels tank , I was looking at some kuli loachs at a different store but they where only 1 1/2 " and I thought the angels might eat

the yo yo's are less worm like

are 3 enough to keep them happy I may add more in the future or some clown loachs
this is a 45 gal bow front

Are your angels full grown? I never had issues with kuhlis getting eaten. But, you can never really rule anything out. If you have multiple tanks though, you can test it out by floating the bag and seeing how it goes, if the angels nip at them or anything. If you don't have multiple tanks, then I would just do whatever you are comfortable with. I have red sumo loaches in with full grown angels without any issues, and they are rather petite and skinny.
Clown loaches do grow slowly, so you could keep one for a few years and re-home it. But, I would just stick with one of the more suitable smaller species that you can keep for its life like the yoyo or the zebra. Yes, 3 should be fine. You can always add more later too. I have ended up with 3 zebra and 2 yoyos. They are all fine. Make sure they have some areas to hide and they will come out when they are ready.

The OP is talking about yoyo loaches, not clowns.
I think 3 is fine in that tank, although they can be pretty aggressive once they get comfortable. If you have any small fish like tetras, you may find them mysteriously disappearing. That's what happened to me when I got 2 yoyos and so I returned them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I just got 3 yo yo loachs from my lfs $4.00 each at 2 "
they should do great in my angels tank , I was looking at some kuli loachs at a different store but they where only 1 1/2 " and I thought the angels might eat

the yo yo's are less worm like

are 3 enough to keep them happy I may add more in the future or some clown loachs
this is a 45 gal bow front

:) Clown loaches were also discussed.

I have have never heard of a yoyo being aggressive to tetras before. Interesting experience. That is not something I have ever experienced with nay of my loach species, including yoyos. Fish are individuals though.

the tank used to be my African tank ( water is no set for angels) so there is ton of caves and crannies just add some live plants , and there are no small fish just to adult(2 year old) angels and 3 yo yo's

You really should keep at least 5 of any social species, add 2 more yoyo's and forget the clowns. They're less likely to bother other fish if there's enough members of their own species to interact with. Clown loaches will grow very large (12"+, very slowly) if they're properly cared for, but as they get bigger their colors fade, and really big ones look sadly washed-out. Nothing like the vibrant colors of young ones.

I plan on adding a few more in a few weeks , I is a newly cycled tank (I know that is not the best for loachs) the lfs gave me some test strips , 0 ammonia 0 nitrites , .5 nitrates , every thing on the 5 way strips was good but the gh was a little low
maybe I should get some discus lol , neons would love it but the angels would eat them very quickly
instead of yo yo would kuli loachs school with them
there very cheap at my lfs $2.50 each but only 1" long and I thought the angels might eat them
went to 4 diffrent lfs for the yo yo's and boy where the prices different the most expensive store had them the cheapest (you never can tell) from $4.00 to $9.00 each
love these fish but they are shore pigs they have not stopped eating since I put them in the tank 6 hours ago and there bellies are full ,my angels are picky eaters
and food always gets to the bottom
I got some kens green crumbles 52% protein with algias as the second ingreetant also fd black worms
will these like a chuck of shrimp meat

No, kuhlis will not school with yo yos. They are too different.
In my experience, loaches are not too picky about what they eat. They can be little piggies. Don't sweat it while you are looking for more. They have enough friends to be social, so I don't think you will have an issue.

Back
Top Bottom