You learn something new every day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dodiddly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've always taped my background to my tanks however I decided to go buy a bottle of baby oil (obviously had to buy other things from supermarket that I didn't really need to avoid the strange looks at the checkout :whistle:).

After wiping a coating of oil onto the background I gingerly placed it on and spent a bit of time getting the air bubbles out with a credit card and I must say I'm impressed with how it's turned out and its certainly worth a go if like me you don't want to go painting the tank.

Just one question though, how long should I expect it to last before I have to redo

I read it online but I can't remember where exactly. There are varying thoughts on what's best to use. Some people use soapy water, others petroleum jelly and some baby oil. The thinking behind it is that you're creating a tight seal or vacuum between the glass and background using a credit card to carefully push out the air bubbles. Because of the seal there shouldn't be a need for tape

. I think that over time whatever you use because it's a liquid will eventually run down and need reapplied. However you don't use much as it's only wiped on the background with a papertowel.

I chose baby oil because being petroleum based it won't evaporated like soapy water and I thought petroleum jelly would be a bit thick and difficult to smooth out.

I read it online but I can't remember where exactly. There are varying thoughts on what's best to use. Some people use soapy water, others petroleum jelly and some baby oil. The thinking behind it is that you're creating a tight seal or vacuum between the glass and background using a credit card to carefully push out the air bubbles. Because of the seal there shouldn't be a need for tape

. I think that over time whatever you use because it's a liquid will eventually run down and need reapplied. However you don't use much as it's only wiped on the background with a papertowel.

I chose baby oil because being petroleum based it won't evaporated like soapy water and I thought petroleum jelly would be a bit thick and difficult to smooth out.

Soapy water on a tank...ouch! :nono:
Petroleum jelly...hmm, I don't know.
Baby oil...messy but if some of it leaks inside the tank it could moisturize and make the fish's skin nice and smooth :)

Soapy water on a tank...ouch! :nono:
Petroleum jelly...hmm, I don't know.
Baby oil...messy but if some of it leaks inside the tank it could moisturize and make the fish's skin nice and smooth :)

Why the nono to the soapy water. It should be in no danger of mixing with the tank water unless you have a rimless tank in which case I wouldn't recommend any of the above.

Agreed with the jelly.

Remember it's only a very thin layer you apply so it's not that messy

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390402138.638083.jpg maybe not the best photo but here's the background on

I did a static cling background for my 29g by myself and it was pretty simple to install

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1390420572334.jpg
    1390420572334.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 95
Not sure if it just doesn't work or my application was wrong but I have a few areas where the background is no longer stuck. I'll try it again and see.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392213619.150303.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392213619.150303.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392213619.150303.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 79
So I tried the baby oil on my 10 gallon tank. The background was thicker plastic and flat it's working great no bubbles or anything. Last week I tried baby oil again on my 5.5gal tank. The background was thinner plastic (not sure it that mattered) and had been rolled in a tube, so was a little curved. I am now having the same problem you are of having areas that are lifting off of the tank, but only on the 5gallon and I suspect because I had not flattened it first, the curving from being rolled in a tube is just enough to make the "bubbles". I keep re-scraping if with the credit card and hoping it will go away eventually. Ha. We'll see.

Aha that might be it venymae. Mine was rolled in a tube. I'll get some more and flatten it out first. Where it's stuck it looks great

you could also just wipe down the one you have with a towel and then flatten it. Might be cheaper....?

I could do with a deeper background anyway. I measured it wrongly and it doesn't quite reach the bottom :)

Back
Top Bottom