YOU own a hatchery (200+ tanks)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BANGAR

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys. A few weeks back, I discovered a "tropical fish hatchery" in my town. Problem was it was closing down! I believe it was poorly managed financially among other problems.
I went back about two weeks ago and there weren't any more fish! I was able to get about 8 the first time I went there though.

What species would YOU want to keep in these tanks?!

What problems might you encounter?

There is no right answer :)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447858518.533659.jpg

Second floor from the top, tanks were stocked 3 high

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447858573.021254.jpg

An isle, most of these tanks were empty!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447858616.591917.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Wow.... Id do discus, apistos, & rams to start. It would be an easy transition since i already am working with those. 1 whole row to plant propagation... Then move some tanks towards rarer fish.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would also add some climate controlled wine cabinets. This way i could culture my own live foods at will. with total control of the cultures.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I see I see. That would. Mean a huge RO unit would be required for discus breeding. For myself, I would be interested in breeding guppies to develop a super dope strains
since I'm still a newb, but I guess keeping a few apistos and discus would be very cool!

Heck with that many tanks you could keep a couple of discus and apisto tanks!

At the hatchery they had mostly African cichlids. They're not my thing but that's cool too.

Discus, every kind of Shelldweller. Or is use it for breeding endangered species, such as darters

Sent via echolocation

Saltwater:
These
lightning-maroon-clownfish-PNG-0.jpg

These
p-39350-kaudern-cardinal.jpg

These
orchid+dottyback+care.jpg

Freshwater
I would have at least 20 tanks dedicated to breeding show quality guppies.

As well as discus, apistos, and killifish such as the gardneri and australe.

I would probably set up a huge chunk of it for angelfish, and then set aside a huge chunk for experimenting with breeding angelicus loaches. Use the angelfish for profit until progress is made with the loaches. And then when I get the angelicus going, I'll start using what I learned breeding angelicus to phase out angelfish and start trying to spawn other types of loach until it's a full-blown loach hatchery.

Hmm, 200 tanks fits a lot of SA dwarves, auto dump for 75% changes and auto fill would be a must as would a few extra hands. I did roughly 120 myself at one time and know a guy that runs 200 alone, it really is no fun alone lol.

I'd dedicate a couple rows of tanks to rams and other cichlids, and then have w whole other row for nice shrimp. Those shrimp make mad cash! Maybe some show tanks, like 10 or so? I wouldn't try something that's totally exotic, but some nice uncommon fish would be cool. Of course, upkeep and expenses would be though the roof. That's where the shrimp come in :brows: Oh yeah, and can't forget the puffs! I'd have a couple 250 gallons laying around for my fahaka puffs Brutis and Jordan (I will have Fahakas some day!) and then a couple more tanks set up for some more exotic types. It would be cool to breed puffs, and this setup would definitely give me the space to do it!

I'd be tempted on shrimp as well. They seem quite expensive here. Plants as well. And maybe crayfish.

The costs of doing it as a business would keep me up at nights.

I'd be tempted on shrimp as well. They seem quite expensive here. Plants as well. And maybe crayfish.

The costs of doing it as a business would keep me up at nights.

Yeah man! It was a well insulated warehouse but In NY with our winter I imagine it could be exxxxpensive

Hmm, 200 tanks fits a lot of SA dwarves, auto dump for 75% changes and auto fill would be a must as would a few extra hands. I did roughly 120 myself at one time and know a guy that runs 200 alone, it really is no fun alone lol.

How would an auto dump system work? I've heard of people with like automatic siphons set up that drain as they fill. I believe Dustin from YouTube has a few "fishroom of legends" videos where they have set ups like this

I'd dedicate a couple rows of tanks to rams and other cichlids, and then have w whole other row for nice shrimp. Those shrimp make mad cash! Maybe some show tanks, like 10 or so? I wouldn't try something that's totally exotic, but some nice uncommon fish would be cool. Of course, upkeep and expenses would be though the roof. That's where the shrimp come in :brows:

Yeah! Rams would be a must, and I think shrimp would definitely be big money makers for the place!

Show strains of guppies, plecos of the more expensive sorts but that do breed in captivity, also non annual killifish,corys of every sort! I'd have an office area with a show room for the display tanks so people could come and pick out which fish they want for wholesale. Without going into the breeding area and possibly contaminating something. Couple employees for sure. Actually I'd create a living space too and just move in. Why not? Unless not zoned for that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'd do Shellies, dwarf cichlids, rare livebearers (goodeids, girardinus, limia, etc) shrimp, and angelfish.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Definitely shrimp...some mid-grade CRS plus fire red and orange sakura neos.

With the popularity of nano tanks/nano fish I'd try Barbus hulstaerti.

How would an auto dump system work? I've heard of people with like automatic siphons set up that drain as they fill. I believe Dustin from YouTube has a few "fishroom of legends" videos where they have set ups like this

It's a lot easier than people make it out to be. Drill the tank, put in a drain line and fill on the opposite side of the tank. Now, the only question is where you run the drain line to? Answer: either "out the door" or into a recirculating system. Easy Peezy. :D(y)

Back
Top Bottom