Your oldest fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andos99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I thought it would be fun to hear about your oldest fish or former fish friend who outlived his expectancy. Here's mine:

I bought a pair of Tinfoil Tiger barbs back in mid 1998 when I was a senior in high school. I had just bought my first tank, a 45 gal tall and had no idea what I was getting into. :) Well, I'm happy to say they are still with me today! They managed to somehow live through the college years, 5 different moves and a fire. Today, the pair lives happily together in the same tank (by themselves) as they were first put into 7 years ago. They peaked out at about 10 inches in year 4 and haven't grown at all sense.

The longest i ever had a fish live was a goldfish in a 5 gallon (horrible, but i know better now!) for about 4 years, and then it went to my aunts fish pond and it grew huge, but i think its probably dead by now, that was like 2 years ago we put it in the fish pond and she has quite a few goldfish in there, but if hes still in there hes lived for 6 years!!

In my current aquarium, my oldest fish are 2 of my 6 cory catfish followed by my common pleco and my rainbow shark

Back when i started my cycle i started with 5 zebra danios. Then i added the two cories and the pleco, and then the rainbow shark a few months later. So i guess the cories are about 8 months old now!

My goldfish is about four years this winter. I figured her age to be a few months when I got her and then she started laying eggs about when she would have been three so I'm pretty sure she's four now.

I had some fancy comet goldfish for about 10 years a while ago - that's the longest.

Otherwise, I now have a single white cloud minnow that must be pushing 6 years old. He's a big raggedy but feeds and swims around with the rest of them.

I think i have had an albine cory for at least 9-10 years if not more

Trafalger was a famous naval battle. The English defeated the combined French and Spanish fleets. It made Lord nelson really famous. In this case however judging from Sharky's sig. Trafalger was a betta. :D

rich311k said:
Trafalger was a famous naval battle. The English defeated the combined French and Spanish fleets. It made Lord nelson really famous. In this case however judging from Sharky's sig. Trafalger was a betta. :D

i totally missed that, sorry about your beta

my oldest was a betta who lived to almost 2 years until he mysteriously died one day after showing no symptoms of anything at all. i still don't understand.

TankGirl said:
I now have a single white cloud minnow that must be pushing 6 years old.

Thats pretty amazing! Don't they normally only live for something like 2-3 years?

My oldest fish now is my common pleco, at almost 4 years. My angel did hold top honor, until it died a few months ago. Behind him is a single black tetra that has been kicking a few months shy of the pleco.

I still have one of my original fish, a red cherry barb named Pete. I think I've had him about 5 years. He actually looks like an old man but he's still quite fiesty and thinks he's a pleco. (He hangs out at the veggie clip with my pleco....pretty much ignores flake food)

:)

Andos99 said:
TankGirl said:
I now have a single white cloud minnow that must be pushing 6 years old.

Thats pretty amazing! Don't they normally only live for something like 2-3 years?

Yes, they do - the reason I know is because I got the minnows when I set up a small tank with a betta for my oldest daughter, which was over a year before I got pregnant with the twins, and they turn 5 this month!

My oldest fish is one of three black skirts. The others have died, but I've had him for 4 years now.

Back
Top Bottom