Your opinions wanted! 65g hex angelfish stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PassengerTN

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all. I acquired a 65 gallon hexagon tank today (for free!) and am looking for stocking ideas. Tank is currently being cleaned, hoping to fill and begin cycling tomorrow.

Here's the rundown
65g hex
30.5" deep
24.25" wide from flat panel to panel
28" wide from point to point
Filtration will be a Penguin 350 BioWheel as I already have an extra.
Will have black diamond blasting sand as substrate.

Stocking list MUST include fw angels. Wife has been on my case about wanting them for some time now, but knows putting them in my African cichlid tank would be a catastrophe. So this is going to be her tank with angels as the showcase

Current plan is as follows
4-6 angels, likely a mixed variety
School of corys
Small pleco (albino BN or gold nugget)

The rest is up in the air. We would like to have something small, colorful and schools together in there as well.

Let's hear your opinions!

Thanks
Jesse

Cardinal tetras. Slightly bigger then neons, very colorful and active.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

When you have that many angels in a tank that size there is going to be trouble. When they pair off it will be even worse, see they will set up territory's and with your tank not having much length to it they would most likely fight. I believe you could do a pair of angles with success but I wouldn't push for more.

On a further note, most schooling fish (like most tetras, and danios) need quite a bit of room to swim around, so more length horizontal us better for them. To stock this, look for slow moving fish that stay out of the Angels way. Such as hatchet fish

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You could do harlaquins. Very peaceful and beautiful. Keep them in a school and they shouldn't give your angel any problems

Sent from peliper

You could do harlaquins. Very peaceful and beautiful. Keep them in a school and they shouldn't give your angel any problems

Sent from peliper

Depends on the species. Once mature, Angels can eat fish under 2 inches.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I like the veil tail angles. They are really showy. Pearl scale angles I find to beautiful, although I can't seem to find any. Have you seen the blue angles? I have only seen pictures. You are going to wind up with one angle down the road. They all think they should be the boss. Totally upset the whole tank chasing each other around. I just took a pair of angles to my lfs this weekend:bawl: They were chasing each other around disrupting every thing,and my tank is 72 gl. Good luck! :fish1:

I have a marbled angel. Saw at LFS in the tank of regular Angels and it was like seeing a light in the dark.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428364226.316218.jpg

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Last edited:
Yes, wife loves the blue pinoy angels. It'll be a trial and error tank for sure. Still a few weeks away from fish, but we will see how things go

I did run into a small hiccup today. Got the tank and stand where I wanted it, and filled 20% (checking for leaks) and mocked up the penguin 350 hob. The **** thing is about an inch too wide to sit within the top trim. Guess its back to the store and looking for something different

Bringing this back up to the top so I don't have to make a new thread. With the tank being 30.5" deep and 24/28" across, am I going to have oxygen transfer issues? A tank with this depth yet smallish surface area is new to me. I believe my hob provides adequate surface agitation, but I don't want to find out otherwise the hard way

Just for the same of this thread. Here's the tank as of last night, with my two year old, Chloe, getting frustrated because she can't find the "fishys". Substrate is black diamond sand blasting media. Filters had been on maybe 30 minutes or so at this point.
25tguol.jpg

If not enough water current is present you could add a small powerhead to keep the flow going.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom