Your Thoughts on Glofish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just because they're trade marked doesn't mean anything that a smart person making bank off an idea if you could be a millionaire off a stupid idea like that then you would. Anyone would. And just because they alter the fish doesn't mean it's necessarily mistreated that's like saying cancer doctors who use people with cancer as test subjects is wrong, when in actuality they could be saving our species or improving it

I know my green one is the most active, the red one loves to explore my plants, and my orange one loves bubbles.

lol good call on your system though. A school of red ones may look ok if you have a lot of red and reddish brown plants or if you have a similar based colour scheme within the tank.

Green would look wicked under a blacklight.. or even all of them.. A futuristic feel, with other white fish with unique designs. I might do that if I ever have a kid haha

I'm another one for a natural look though

I agree the one gallon/three gallon tank thing is horrible. I see the way my zebras zip around my tank and wouldn't dream of confining them that way. I have a huge problem with selling bettas in an inch of water, too. And of course you've all heard my gripe with the local department store (see...I'm not naming names!) stocking fiddler crabs in little cups on the shelf. So many animals mistreated :(

I've commented about these fish alongside Sisserydoo another time. I went from "NO WAY" to "Well maybe". They're probably not for me, but my daughter is trying to decide if she wants some. At this point I would say that I wouldn't fight her at all. Once I learned that there's not any cruelty in the process, I lightened up considerably.

That said, it would be nice if they would market them as a good fish to grab 5 of and put in some well-marketed 10g tank? I agree that I'd take the million $ under these circumstances for sure. Though the glowing still freaks me out a little bit.

You know what though? Why haven't I seen them in any stores under a black light? Sounds simple, but I'm pretty sure that's how I'd be marketing them.

I've commented about these fish alongside Sisserydoo another time. I went from "NO WAY" to "Well maybe". They're probably not for me, but my daughter is trying to decide if she wants some. At this point I would say that I wouldn't fight her at all. Once I learned that there's not any cruelty in the process, I lightened up considerably.

That said, it would be nice if they would market them as a good fish to grab 5 of and put in some well-marketed 10g tank? I agree that I'd take the million $ under these circumstances for sure. Though the glowing still freaks me out a little bit.

You know what though? Why haven't I seen them in any stores under a black light? Sounds simple, but I'm pretty sure that's how I'd be marketing them.

Well blacklights may (not much research out there for this) harm them or annoy them. Fish can see UV light, as opposed to humans. So we don't know exactly what they see when they see UV light...it may be ridiculously bright and hurt their eyes.

I was going to use a blacklight but then i thought i'd rather just be safe and not do it because i dont want stress out my fish in the least bit.

Well blacklights may (not much research out there for this) harm them or annoy them. Fish can see UV light, as opposed to humans. So we don't know exactly what they see when they see UV light...it may be ridiculously bright and hurt their eyes.

I was going to use a blacklight but then i thought i'd rather just be safe and not do it because i dont want stress out my fish in the least bit.

Good point. I haven't thought about that. But since they try to sell them with 1g tanks, you'd think they wouldn't hesitate to advertise them with black lights? That's the capitalist in me thinking!

Back
Top Bottom