Your Thoughts on Glofish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff6.0

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
img_1740754_0_d4a9172cc43c028741dfac244b028e8e.jpg

I've been out of the hobby for about ten years and I just found out about these guys.

I was told that these are not died or tattooed but are genetically altered Zebra Danios. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I think they could be an attractive addition to a tank but I would like to hear your thoughts.

What do you guys think?

I think they are cheesy, fake looking, and extremely expensive, but that's just a matter of personal taste.

Ethically I don't really have an issue with them, they were supposedly created with a benign purpose rather than pure sales/marketing, although it looks like that has been the direction it has taken since.

With the amount of hybridization and breeding for deformities, tattooing/dying in the trade already, there are much worse things that get my attention.

Although the idea of gene splicing/genetic modification is kind of scary, if they can do it with fish it's only a matter of time before it starts becoming common to do it with other animals and people.

They're good if you're going for a more whimsical type tank look--not so much if going for a natural look. If they're as hardy as the zebras, I'd say they make a good kid's fish, or good for an infant's room if you're putting a tank in there for the stimulation since they're so colorful.

I have two in with my school of 5 zebras. I think they are cute, and not overwhelming when there's just two. They seem to be just as hardy as the regular type.

jetajockey said:
Although the idea of gene splicing/genetic modification is kind of scary, if they can do it with fish it's only a matter of time before it starts becoming common to do it with other animals and people.

Google glow in the dark animals. They have already done it with all kinds of stuff, and people are worried (rightly so) about them interbreeding with wild animals.

I was concerned about the ethical issue the most. I also think that they look a little "fake" especially when you mix all the colors together.

To me the yellow ones look the most natural out of the bunch. I think a school of just yellows might look nice.

I don't think we should mess with nature any more than we already do as hobbyists. Their wild colors are beautiful enough as it is, but why feel the need to genetically alter them to please the public? It's stupid, in my opinion.

It's trendy, and there's a market for it. It's not really about serious fishkeeping at all, these fish are marketed to people (or people's children) who see them, think they are cool looking, and buy them on a whim.

The fact that liveaquaria has them listed as needing 1 gallon minimum (to compliment the little 1.5 gallon 'glofish' tank kits explains it better than I can.
Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: GloFish(R), Danio rerio

Aquarium Kits: GloFish® Live Fish & Aquarium Set

The other funny thing is that regular zebra danios, which are the same species, same size, same everything besides color as glofish, are listed as needing 10g minimum.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+881+941&pcatid=941

Well, you don't need anyone's approval if you want them. I knew people would think I was "stupid" and "not serious", but I like them, so I bought them. They are in a twenty gallon and well taken care of.

I have 5 and love mine.

Throw them under actinics and they are beautiful. Some people are saying they don't look natural?...Well hey, there are real fluorescent and even bioilluminescent (which is even crazier than flourescence) fish in nature.

I also wanted a school of Glo-fish as opposed to a school of regular danios so that I know who is who in my tank. I know my green one is the most active, the red one loves to explore my plants, and my orange one loves bubbles. That is cool to me...and it could also be useful if any of them gets sick and starts acting weird, as then I will be able to notice the change in behavior of that individual fish.

Well, you don't need anyone's approval if you want them. I knew people would think I was "stupid" and "not serious", but I like them, so I bought them. They are in a twenty gallon and well taken care of.

You're right! It's a free country! However, If you're going to go against the grain, it's good to be aware when doing it.

Like this: I like Camaros. I am aware of the social cogitation that comes with owning such a car... but I still dig 'em.

Jeff6.0 said:
You're right! It's a free country! However, If you're going to go against the grain, it's good to be aware when doing it.

Like this: I like Camaros. I am aware of the social cogitation that comes with owning such a car... but I still dig 'em.

Well, you would definitely be going against the grain with glofish! I've found more people don't like them than the ones that do. Oh well! I think a school of yellow ones sounds cool.

Well, you would definitely be going against the grain with glofish! I've found more people don't like them than the ones that do. Oh well! I think a school of yellow ones sounds cool.

Well, my tank is a little too tiny but I have a 55 that I hope to set up next year. I'm sure I will change my mind 256 times before I buy any fish but I'm having a blast just looking and doing research.

Things have changed in the past ten years, I have never heard of it. I just checked that fish out. It's a very nice looking fish for sure.

This is just my opinion, but I am not a fan of them at all. I know plenty of people who have them and I don't really care at all that other people own own them, but for me personally, I choose not to.
I understand about how they were originally made, but I don't like that they been turned into a marketing ploy. Having a trademarked fish seems strange to me. I also am not a fan of the tiny tanks sold for them.
For me, another red flag is that I have never been able to find out where the profits go from these trademarked fish. So, I choose not to buy them.

For me, another red flag is that I have never been able to find out where the profits go from these trademarked fish. So, I choose not to buy them.

That's pretty strange. Do you know of a (sounds odd to say) manufacture web site?

The profits go to the company that made them. see no problem with the fish themselves but I do with the mistreatment. The favct that they are marketed as fish that can school in a 3 gallon tank is disturbing. I think we should STOP THAT!
Then again african dwarf frogs (and bettas) are mistreated in little containers. A guy at my LFS told a lady that an adf is fine in a 6x3x4 betta Condo thing. No heater no filter.
I also dont like that they are trademarked. They are fish. I understand the company has to make money but they can still be a big provider of them without being the only provider of them.

Back
Top Bottom