Your Water Changing Procedure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK, quick question with the python, does it only attach to certain faucets? How much tubing comes with it?

BfishLpond78 said:
OK, quick question with the python, does it only attach to certain faucets? How much tubing comes with it?

The pic I posted is 25 ft. and came with 2 adapters for the faucet

For my freshwater tanks I add tap water in 5g buckets from my tub :D. While they're filling i toss in the declorinator. I do 10-15% water changes every two weeks for those. I have....2 5g buckets, 1 8g, and 1 3g. (Can never have enough buckets) For my salt I use the RO from LFS in 7g jugs. I siphon from the display tank, and then set the jugs on a little art stool I have and let them siphon back into the sump. The total amount is 14g, which is like 12% of my tank. I don't do it often enough though, since the closest LFS is 40 minutes away. I think i used a 1 inch length of tubing, it might be 1.5 inches though.

I have a python, got it from good will with a used 55g. Don't have the sink adapter though, so it sits unused with the rest of the fish stuff. I'm just lazy though, I could buy the adapter for $2 at lowe's.

For me, simplest was best and most important, routine. I use a gravel vac and two 16 L pails. Twice a week (normally), I change the water, filling both pails to about 14 L. Each water change, I vacuum one half of the gravel, taking turns on each half of the tank. As my tank gets natural sunlight for most of the day, probably twice a month, I remove the start of algae on the aquarium glass (I just use a credit card; nothing fancy). I have one 18 L pail, solely used to re-fill the tank. I'm a fan of Prime and only gauge the temperature using my wrist (much like you would do for a baby's bottle!). I don't use any other concoctions like salt, stress coat, etc. In my filter (I use a fluval 205), I use filter floss and ceramic rings; these are cleaned every 6 to 8 weeks, using the water from the tank. Since establishing this routine, I've had crystal clear water and very content fish. Good luck! Luanne

Back
Top Bottom