Your Water Changing Procedure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BfishLpond78

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What is your way of doing water changes? The traditional gravel vac and bucket? The python connected to your faucet? How about your refilling of the tank, chemicals you use? Buckets? How do you get your water temperature accurate?

Any cool tips or tricks you've learned over the years please share...

Ya, I would like to see if anyone has thought of anything out of the ordinary for this process, especially when you have to change out 20 or so gallons of water. LOL. I'm not lazy by any means I was just curious the other day doing a PWC, i have your standard gravel vac and 5 gallon bucket...lol. So I was wondering if there is a more "efficient" way of doing this, and curious as to what water treatments people do as well.

I'm not 'lazy' by any means, but I don't use buckets! I do 50% PWC's on all my tanks. This includes my 40g, 125g, and 150g (when it was set up, and once it's set back up). Python is the only way to go IMO. I use a lee's brand, but its the same thing.

I put the tube out the window, drain half the tank. Hook up to sink, temp match, start fill, add prime, sit back and wait for it to be full. Done.

Bucket, gravel vac and Prime as dechlorinator for me. I prefer the bucket method because I water my plants/garden beds with the "enriched" water from my goldies ;).

Sweet, thanks, i was hoping that the water wouldn't hurt the grass or anything at all.

Another question, when adding the prime, (I have stress coat, not sure which one is better, i hear alot of people use prime, your thoughts?) do you add it before or after all the water has been added back in?

BfishLpond78 said:
Sweet, thanks, i was hoping that the water wouldn't hurt the grass or anything at all.

Another question, when adding the prime, (I have stress coat, not sure which one is better, i hear alot of people use prime, your thoughts?) do you add it before or after all the water has been added back in?

Prime is 2 drops per gallon, simple numbers really. In order to let the pH settle a bit (tap is 8.2 to 7.8 after a day)I have bucketed water ready 24hrs in advance, completely ready to go. Some worry about temp, but with it at room temp I might see a 1 degree drop in any of my tanks (maybe, but not always).

Plants bloom like mad with tank water, but if I had to med or something it goes down the bowl.

I put the tube out the window, drain half the tank. Hook up to sink, temp match, start fill, add prime, sit back and wait for it to be full. Done.

Does that mean you just fill from the faucet by adjusting hot water to get right temp, add prime and you are good to go?

Yes, that's exactly how I do it.

FWIW, I also water flowers, bushes, etc with my PWC water... I just do so by using the hose rather than buckets ;)

Is it dangerous to add water and Prime separately (e.g. fill then dechlor, or dechlor then fill)? I've been adding Prime to a 1-gallon pitcher (which means I always overdose because Prime is so concentrated) and adding that gallon. VERY slow process!

JackSpadesSI said:
Is it dangerous to add water and Prime separately (e.g. fill then dechlor, or dechlor then fill)? I've been adding Prime to a 1-gallon pitcher (which means I always overdose because Prime is so concentrated) and adding that gallon. VERY slow process!

Specific to Prime, you can dose up to 5x the norm under certain circumstances. So adding it just before filling in the PWC void in the tank would have little, if any effect.

I used to do the 5 gal bucket thing but that was a pain....I got the python and its straight from the tank down the garbage disposal in the kitchen sink, then I adjust the temp by feel with just a little bit of hot water added in and presto! All 3 tanks done in under an hour :eek:)

PS. Lemon juice and or baking soda down the drain keeps ur sink from smelling like a rotten pond! LOL

Hey I'm just guessing here, but straight from the tap !! I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get away with that, cause of the various additives in UK water. When I am doing PWC's to my tanks, I have separate 'in' and 'out' buckets. So for my 20g tank, prep a 2g (2.4g US) bucket with clean and temp matched tap-water, treat with de-chlorinator and stand while removing 2g from tank (gravel-vac). Filter wash/swill in outgoing water to remove any big bits ! Can anyone tell me more about the 'python' which seems to be a big thing for you guys over the pond ? The above is okay on a small tank, but there's a good bit more going on with a larger tank, so I'm intrigued about how I might make the 'python' work for me too.

Not being able to use pwc water for my gardens is the biggest bummer about saltwater. Fish poo is one of the best fertilizers out there. They actually have companies that bottle and concentrate the stuff and sell it as organic fertilizers. It's crazy expensive! And it's fish poo.

AquaOne said:
Hey I'm just guessing here, but straight from the tap !! I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get away with that, cause of the various additives in UK water. When I am doing PWC's to my tanks, I have separate 'in' and 'out' buckets. So for my 20g tank, prep a 2g (2.4g US) bucket with clean and temp matched tap-water, treat with de-chlorinator and stand while removing 2g from tank (gravel-vac). Filter wash/swill in outgoing water to remove any big bits ! Can anyone tell me more about the 'python' which seems to be a big thing for you guys over the pond ? The above is okay on a small tank, but there's a good bit more going on with a larger tank, so I'm intrigued about how I might make the 'python' work for me too.

Hi there!! I also use de-chlorinator I just add it directly to the tank. Here is a pic of the one I have. Its from aqueon not python....,

Maya said:
Not being able to use pwc water for my gardens is the biggest bummer about saltwater. Fish poo is one of the best fertilizers out there. They actually have companies that bottle and concentrate the stuff and sell it as organic fertilizers. It's crazy expensive! And it's fish poo.

There's an idea for a side biz. Fish Poo Inc. lol. My plants and vegie gardens love it. Some time I do an extra PWC just because in need the water/gunk from vacuuming the gravel when I'm putting in new flowers or seeding a row in my raised bed garden ;).

Back
Top Bottom