You're fired!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deli_conker

Aquarium Advice Addict
That's what I'd like to tell my yo-yo loach. I got him to kill of the stupid snails that somehow invaded my tank. At first, the snail population went away. I'd maybe see one or two every now and then. About a week ago there were snails everywhere. And with snails everywhere comes snail poop, everywhere.

I tried cutting back on feeding the fish a little so that he'd have to get the snails in order to eat, but that has had no real impact. He just swims to the top of the tank at feeding time and eats like the rest of the fish.

The snail poop is ticking me off as well. I clean the tank and no more than one day passes and there are little curly turds all over everything. It's really noticable on the driftwood. And when my loach swims through/around the wood, it all gets stirred up and floats around the whole tank.

I am very close to buying some anti-snail stuff and nuking the tank with it. I really don't want to do that because I don't want to take a chance and potentially harm the fish.

I wouldn't mind if it was just one or two snails, but this is rediculous. I don't want to bother with putting in a piece of lettuce and tossing it after it's full either. I want something self sustaining. No snails from nuke or snail eaters with full bellies.

I'm considering buying a couple more yo-yo's and keep the feeding around the amount as when I first got my current yo-yo.

Any other ideas?

*Yo-yo unemployment line?*

Do you have a clue as to why you got a repopulation? It's possible that after having had his full of snails during the first go round, your Yoyo (try saying that 3x fast) is tired of them.

Other than the lure and food source method, I don't know of any other way to remove snails without harming the tank.

Patience...get the yo-yo's and see if they like them like the unemployed yo-yo originally did. :D

If you have the room, get some more yoyo's. They will be happier in the tank and might actually do "thier job" as you intended on having the one you have now do.
Keep up posted.
-Stewie

I set up a small 2 gallon hex betta tank on my desk about a month ago. Everything in this tank was sterile or brand new. I pulled one snail from my community tank and put him in the hex with the Betta. That snail grew faster than all of the other snails in the community tank. 2 weeks ago I noticed probably 20 or 30 tiny little snails all over the tank. There continues to be tiny little ones showing up al lthe time and now the little hex has about 50 snails and one betta. I just thopught it was fascinating that one snail could do this so rapidly. Now I understand how peoples tanks become overloaded with them so fast.

I Had A snail Invasion in my 10 galon tank a few weeks ago..I figured they must of come from the plants I bought..I didn't have room for anything else so I had to pluck them out..What a Pain..

Clown loaches are the best at eliminating snails, hands down.

i think that African cichlids and puffers are the best for eating snails

but that is just my opinion

I have to agree with serlunchbox... I have trouble keeping snails....Wish I had your problem. I am currently trying to get some snails going so I can get a puffer fish......

The way snails got in there is because of live plants that you put in the tank and didn't clean them.

yeah try a figure 8 puffer and some clowns............ maybe a weather loach (dojo) they are relentles eaters

if you want to get rid of snails , add 2-3 copper pennies to every ten gallons and leave them there for a few days , the copper will kill the snails , but be no harm to the rest of the tank . good luck to you . and for future reference place future plant purchases in a pot with ten or so copper pennies for a couple days to kill off any hitchhikers .

My friend had a sail problem before. It was not as bad as your program sounds, but what he did was just catch everyone one by one, until they where all gone. I don't know what he did with them, I can't really remeber. But I do know it took a while to get ride of them all. But I know how a pain the the butt it is, since they are asexual reproduction.

puffers are good to get rid of snails but should generally be kept in a species only tank because they can be quite nippy

Ummm, okay... First off, my tank is not planted. I don't know where that came from, but there has never been any live plants added to my tank. I believe he (the original snail) got into the tank in the following manner...

I used river rock purchased from Home Depot for the substrate. I rinsed it twice before putting it into the tank. I think there was at least one dormant egg that survived rinsing that came alive after being submerged in water for a few days.

Puffers should definitely be in a species tank as they are very territorial and aggresive. African cichlids should be put in tank with other Africans from the same lake and nobody else.

I'm not too keen on the copper idea. I know that it will work, but I don't want to risk $100 worth of stock just to get rid of snails (that's why I haven't dropped a nuke in there yet).

I may try to get a couple more yo-yo's. Maybe three of them. My biggest concern is that they'll suddenly stop eating the snails as well. And then I'm back to the nuke idea. I don't want to have a tank full of loaches either. I started with the yo-yo (because everybody and their brother told me they loved escargot) and I'm going to stick with the yo-yo. This is not "Deli_Conker's Great Loach Reserve, home to every type of loach known to man."

I actually wouldn't mind a very few snails, but when I wake up in the morning and see a dozen little dots slowly moving around the glass who will each grow up and put off a dozen of their own dots... well, time to increase the predator to prey ratio.

Back
Top Bottom