Yoyo loaches or cories?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GallonsOfFun

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm about to acquire a new 55gal on an awesome deal :dance: and I'm working out the stocking list. It looks like my choice of bottom feeder has come down to either cory catfish or yoyo loaches. Anyone whose had experience with either, which would you recommend?

I don't know all too much about yoyo loaches but I know a fair amount about clown loaches, and I'm hoping they'll be similar to them with their playfulness and their group dynamics. I would ideally have both but AqAdvisor seems to think the loaches have a much bigger bioload than I previously imagined, and while I'm not too keen on AqAdvisor, I've never owned them.

It would be a sand substrate and heavily planted. Here's a preliminary stocking list:
6x marbled hatchet
3x oto
8-10x cardinal tetra OR rummynose tetra
2x pearl gourami
6x yoyo loach OR cory

I found aqadvisor to be pretty off on these loaches as well as angelicus. I've owned angelicus and clowns. Botias are quite similar and are definitely fun to watch in a group.

Caleb

EDIT: I forgot to add 6x hatchetfish to the stocking list, I've edited the original post to reflect this.

Thanks, Caleb. AqAdvisor is off in the sense that it overestimates or underestimates their bioload? Would you say that this tank would be fine with 6 loaches and 6 cories? Alternatively, if I didn't add the cories, what's the max number of loaches I could go up to?

Either will work, though you'd need to do Corys that can handle temps in the upper 70s that the rest of your stocking will demand. Many species do, but some do not. Personally, I'd be inclined to do Zebra Loaches instead of Yo-Yos in that tank. The footprint of a 55 is only 12" deep and Yo-Yos get to be about 6" long. Whatever you do, be sure that your substrate is a relatively fine sand that they can dig in without getting injured.

If it were me, I'd also bump up the Cardinal or Rummy shoal number to 15 and the Hatchet number up to 8 or 9, as your tank has a lot of lateral space. Cardinals tend to inhabit the middle of the tank, while Rummys are usually in the lower third during the day. In my experience, Cardinals are relatively fragile. Rummys are hardier, but need a heavily planted tank to feel secure.

AqAdvisor tends to error in the side of caution with bioload. According to them, my tanks are stocked at about 115% and my nitrate level rarely ever gets over 15 ppm with weekly 30-40% WCs.

I love my corries. I started with 4 a few years ago and although one died, the others are doing well. They are cute and fun to watch. I use gravel so I don't know how well they would do with sand.

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would do angelicus loaches or zebra loaches instead of yoyos. Zebra loaches are much smaller than yoyos and angelicus stay slightly smaller and are more calm and peaceful in my experience. Yoyos are the most boisterous of the botias. That said, in my opinion any of them would work. If you went with zebra loaches you could probably do 8-10 of them; with yoyos and angelicus I wouldn't do more than 6.

But definitely do the loaches over the corydoras!

Here's some yoyo loaches in my 90, small guys, but fun to watch!!!uploadfromtaptalk1447150757129.jpguploadfromtaptalk1447150842078.jpg

I have had clown loaches and yoyo loaches. I have found I enjoy my yoy loaches more. They seem to be more active and comical. I don't know why but when I watch them they make me chuckle. plus not getting the monster size of clowns is also a plus.

I have had clown loaches and yoyo loaches. I have found I enjoy my yoy loaches more. They seem to be more active and comical. I don't know why but when I watch them they make me chuckle. plus not getting the monster size of clowns is also a plus.
I actually have three, and three clowns, they are fun fish!!!
I think the yo yo loaches would be fun for kids to watch and even keep as first pets.
At first when I got them, I thought these fish are nuts, out of control !!!
But I got used to them and enjoy their antics, the other fish in the tank just look at them now and pay no attention to them. I must say not a fish I would recommend, if you don't like fish that swim like yo yo's!!! [emoji39]

I will be moving my fish stock around as they grow out and create room for future tanks and projects.

Clem.

I almost want to make this my sig! Corydoras are great but I can't understand for the life of me why they're so much more popular as bottom dwellers than loaches.
Hey Sin, remember that pic with CB sitting in front of his tank with those beautiful clown loaches behind him, it was like Love at first sight for me!!!![emoji39]
They were mature clowns and they looked great all schooled together,it seemed as they were taking the the picture shot with him, amazing example of what they actually look like matured and in a large group like that!!![emoji106]

Clem

Back
Top Bottom